We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

Hi - We'd love your insights on train travel... We are a family of four (two young children) and are planning to take the train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence at the beginning of August. Could you advise on (i) which train station? I notice on the TGV there is the "Aix-en-Provence TGV" station and the "Aix-en-Provence Centre" station. Is one station more convenient for travel from Paris?

We are also planning to travel with all our luggage from the US - 3 large suitcases. We will be in Paris for 6 wks prior to our trip to southern France (first Aix-en-Provence then Nice).

Will bringing large suitcases be difficult on the trains? Transporting btw train stations and the hotels? Do you suggest we simply find a place to house our suitcases in Paris during our trip to Southern France?

Thank you all so much!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
TGV
TGV
1,293 Reviews
Paris, France
France
France
Europe
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

First class gives you a bit more space and more comfortable seats. There are still the usual luggage racks at the end of each car, however, not near your seat. If you are concerned about security, you can use a cable lock to secure the handles of the bags to the stanchion at the end of the rack--but I'm sure you'll hear from many people that it's not necessary. We did that simply to be sure that no one with a similar bag took ours by mistake. When the train stops at an intermediate station, rather than the end of the lind, it can be a bit of a crowd with everyone grabbing for bags at once.

Maine
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

Hi You need not buy 1st class tickets. There is a large luggage hold in each car in second class and I agree, you can purchase these tickets now on line and save money. My concern is that you have to drag these to and from the train station and through different towns- how do you do that with only 2 adults. Six weeks is a bit of time , but when I am in line checking in every April for 20 years for somewhere in France, most kids have rolling back packs as you see in lines when traveling in the states. Would you be able to pare down the packing? Another idea is to leave the big luggage in your hotel in Paris, and travel south with rolling backpack that was packed in your big suitcase- this is what we do!

Having just tried the TGV station to Aix, heck- it is 9 miles outside of Aix, the bus shuttle arrives every 15 minutes, and that arrival station was a 30 minute walk to the centrally located Quartier Mazarin where our hotel was. Taxis must have been around the shuttle but I wasnt looking for them-there was no big line like there are in Paris.- We really loved staying in Aix -I dont get why some on TA persuade posters to avoid it .... But we also love Avignon, and, here in your situation could be a simpler plan with the TGV station being much closer and quicker shuttle bus. I am thinking you would need to return to the TGV station to get to Nice. Aix has some direct trains but most go to Marseille, where you need to switch trains before heading to Nice; same as Avignon. Or maybe you are picking up a car, then either train station will have cars, and from either town, you can hop on the Auroroute and be in Nice easily. Just some ideas. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,293 Reviews
Paris, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

An additional note: Be aware that in the larger train stations there are people who will offer to help you with large suitcases . They are opportunists, not official porters. They will grab your bags, then demand money after they have helped you to lift them onto to the train. There will be no change given! Also be aware that the trains leave on time. If it says 10:12 you need to have found your carriage and seat by then. Put your hand luggage in a back pack and have as little luggage as you can. If you have paper tickets you will need to get them punched by the orange "composter" before entering. You will see "compostez vos billets" or similar.

Have fun! Aix is lovely and the market is wonderful!

14. Re: Travel by train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 06, 2014