We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Topic
A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Hi all,

I come from Hong kong, would like to go to Aix for a week French course. Since this is my first time to Europe alone, I'm worry about the saftiness of the city. I would like to ask is it safe in general in Aix. Does pickpocketing common? ( I know pickpocketing is very common in Europe ). One more question, how can I go to Cours Mirabeau from TGV of Aix (besides taking taxi) ? Where is the shuttle bus of TGV?

Hope some of you can help me. Thanks a lot!

singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Hi Irene

i was there 2 weeks ago with my husband. i feel that aix is relatively safe, as compared to Paris and Nice. but usually I'll be back at the hotel by 9 pm or so. i think it's quite a nice town. actually, whether you're travelling in europe or asia, you have to practise caution.

we took the shuttle bus from the TGV station. bus service is every 15 or 20 mins. Suggest you ask the TGV staff where to take the bus. It's actually at the ground level and you've to take the elevator. the bus fare is about 3 or 4 euro. it's cheaper than taking cab.

the bus stops at the bus station near cours mirabeau which is the centre of Aix. you just need to do abit of walking. there's a tourist office there as well - you can get all your info from there.

hope the above info helps.

Cincinnati, USA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Hi!

I lived in Aix during college. I had many friends at the university who were Asian. I never heard of anything bad happening to them during their year long stay. I would not worry about that in Aix. I felt very safe there! I walked alone everyday and didn't have any problems.

Neither me or any of my friends were pickpocked in Aix. I never heard of it happening there. It's a clean upscale town. Just be vigilant. Keep your bag close to you and all that.

The TGV stops in Marseille (15Km from Aix) and outside the city. If you have a Eurorail pass you can take a connecting regular train from Marseille. I think it takes about a 1/2 hour. I recommend the shuttle! It's cheap (maybe 5Euro) and takes you into Aix. The shuttle stop at the station is labeled. If I remember it's downstairs. The shuttle stop in Aix is at le Gare Routtier a safe 5 minute walk into the middle of town. The shuttle runs very frequently, maybe once every hour.

I think you will really enjoy Aix. The majority of the town is young students from all over the world. Bon voyage!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Hi,

My partner who is Asian (Chinese) and myself travelled around Provence mainly the Luberon region in May this year. We had no problems at all and found everyone we spoke to very receptive and understanding considering our limited french.

i had the same nervousness before I left about pickpocketing and hassles, however felt safer there than back in Australia!

Like anywhere in main city areas just take the usual precautions.

Good luck you will love it.

Mushmoo...

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
165 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

Hi Irene!

Not sure when you are visiting Aix but we visited Aix last weekend. All three of us are Asian and we didn't experience any problems. No problems with pickpocketing.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

I am a Chinese American, but I just visited Aix and found it to be very safe. I noticed lots walk around the City Center at night even women alone and there was no fear or concerns. There are other Chinese in the area, more Vietnamese-Chinese based on the type of Asian restaurants in the area. You should be fine, but always be cautious and conservative in your actions.

6. Re: A chinese girl to Aix--safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, August 19, 2009