We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux to Provence

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Bordeaux to Provence

I am travelling by car from Bordeaux to Avignon in July. I have 2 nights to stop somewhere, one suggestion was to stay 1 night in Domme & 1 night in Rocamadour. The only problem is that they are very close together. Has anyone got any suggestions as to a where to stay as Rocamadour is 41/2hrs drive to Avignon. Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

take a look at www.viamichelin.com -- then you can choose a stopping point, and do some googling to see what's to see there.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Dordogne for a stopover -- Domme and Rocamadour are a lot of driving on small country roads, and really aren't anywhere near "on the way" from Bordeaux to Provence. (don't get me wrong - the Dordogne is absolutely visit-worthy- but not really with your requirements and routing...)

I'd sooner look at something like Toulouse and Nimes, or Agen-Narbonne.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

I always prefer taking the smallest roads than highways. And having 2 nights to brake up the trip gives you different possibilities. If you are ready to drive around 4 hours each day, IMO I think it's very doable.

Do use www.viamichelin.com to help you out.

If you but the map of your itinerary to full screen, you will be able to activate the "tourism" option you will see green dots showing you what's of interest and even suggestion of hotels to look at. A great tool !

Your first day could bring you in the area near Cahors.

Your second night could be somewhere between Millau and Clermont-l'Hérault.

And hop to Avignon on the last day of your trip.

Of course you won't be able to really visit. But you will see some lovely villages and landscapes.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

Domme is a particularly nice villge and I think Dordogne is well worth a stop. I would sugggest going back through the Gorge du Tarn, in the middle of which is a very nice fairy castle hotel for your second night. From there it is a fairly short drive to Uzes and on to Avignon. You will also pass right by Pont du Gard which is definitely worth a stop.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

It doesn't make any sense to me at all to stop at either Domme or Rocamadour on this trip, and certainly not both of them. Domme is simply one of loads of small Dordogne villages, and a really touristy one at that - loads of "artisanal" shops selling Made in China stuff. Really, its only redeeming feature is the stunning view of the Dordogne river from the esplanade and maybe the cave. Anyway, it's not on the obvious route to Provence, and neither is Rocamadour.

I would make my first stop somewhere around Toulouse. If you don't want to bother with driving into the city and would prefer a smaller venue, go past Toulouse and get off the highway at Castelnaudary and stay there or in some small village nearby. Second stop: Near or in Montpellier. If you want to be on the beach, stay in Sète.

Edited: 12:20 pm, April 04, 2013
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

Mirepoix is a beautiful ancient small town (a bastide) broadly between Toulouse and Carcassonne. It's not far off the motorway along an easy, wide and relatively empty road with fantastic views of the Pyrenees. If you haven't seen Carcassone yet, you could stay both your nights in that area and visit Carcassonne and Mirepoix (and maybe some other places nearby too). This would minimise packing and unpacking and allow you to enjoy more.

Aspet, France
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

I agree that between Toulouse and Carcassonne would be a good midway point at which to stop off. This looks like a good spot for a night or two? The Canal du Midi is nearby, Carcassonne is within visiting distance and it's a nice quiet area.

stopoverconnections.com/france-accommodation…

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

We really liked our overnight stay at the Château de Montledier, near Mazamet. The grounds are spacious, and it was a fine place to unwind after a day of driving and sightseeing. There are posts about the hotel in the Review section of this site.

8. Re: Bordeaux to Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence