We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis day trip - car or train?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cassis day trip – car or train?

My mother and I will be taking a day trip to Cassis from our base in Aix. We plan on doing that during the last full day there, after that we’re renting a car and heading to Luberon.

Does it make sense to rent the car a day early so we can take that to Cassis? Or is the train, then bus to town ok?

We like riding the train, and would prefer train than the hassle of parking and driving in busy areas…unless the hassle of the train/bus to town would be even bigger.

Thanks!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cassis day trip – car or train?

From another response to a similar question, the trip by train requires transfers etc and time. There may be a bus that is easier -

jhgrady

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cassis day trip – car or train?

Pick up the car a day early, go to Cassis, and do some real exploring on your way back to Aix. Cassis isn't that big or busy, so you don't have to worry about really bust city-type traffic.

A car is absolutely the best way to explore Provence!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cassis day trip – car or train?

Sounds like it makes sense to pick up the car early, I like the suggestion of exploring on the way back to Aix.

Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
718 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cassis day trip – car or train?

Hi there, getting a car to drive to Cassis would be the simplest . I hope your weather is lovely on the weekend. Because Cassis is such beautiful beach town, it will be busy with visitors from nearby, but not crazy busy in April /early May, more lively than on a Monday-we actually prefer to be there on weekends. But, if you were around, there is a market on Friday morning when population explodes! While it will be pretty easy to park in the morning on a weekend, Cassis is not flat, and it has many one way streets, so it can be a hike walking down hill from a car park or a spot, then one must walk uphill to return to the car. I would download a map to bring along.

5. Re: Cassis day trip – car or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 24, 2014