We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

Never driven in Europe ever but am considering renting a car for a few days to explore the region.

What are your thoughts about a first timer "driving on the other side of the road" and understanding the signs.

Otherwise happy to do a private or group tour.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

What side of the road do you drive on in France? Also, how do iphone maps work in France? Thanks

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

You drive on the same side as in Dallas - praise the Lord!! :) We have driven on that other side of the road in the UK and it was not pretty.

I do not know anything about iPhone maps. We bring Michelin (paper) maps and a portable GPS loaded with European maps. Both very useful.

Edited: 1:07 pm, January 11, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

Sorry but I disagree with the advice to go 'all the way around' a roundabout... my TomTom never once misdirected me on one in over 2,500 KM of driving our last road trip in France.

There's always a diagram before you enter one as well... have your passenger look carefully too.

Edited: 2:03 pm, January 12, 2013
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

I totaly agree that you do not need to go all the way around a roundabout before deciding where to turn off - the signage throughout France is wondeful, especially at the roundabouts. Personally, I trust the signage AND my Michelin Maps alot more then I trust some faceless TomTom voice. So, what's the most horrible thing that can happen? You get to explore a lovely area that wasn't on that days' itineriary - isn't that what exploring rural France is all about?.

15. Re: Is it easy for a first-timer to explore Provence by car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 14, 2014