We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
eurostar

My husband and I are both 70 years old and are hoping to travel to Aux en Provence next June/July from St Pancras Station London by Eurostar.

First of all, does anyone know the nearest station we can travel to by Eurostar. I have been told it is Marseille. When we arrive at this station is it easy to catch a local train to Aix en Provence. Can you also tell me the approximate price of the Eurostar part of the journey.

We have never travelled this way on our own before, so wonder how easy it is for a couple of pensioners to change from Eurostar to local trains.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Barbara

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar

The Eurostar trains do not run any further than Paris. From Paris, you can take a TGV train to Aix-en-Provence: some direct and some with a change at Lyon.

The Eurostar arrives in Paris at Gare du Nord, and the TGVs for Aix leave from Gare de Lyon. To get from one station to the other, take a taxi which will cost around €10.

To get the best price, you should book as far in advance as you can. Eurostar tickets go on sale 120 days before travel at www.eurostar.com and TGV tickets go on sale 90 days before travel at www.tgv-europe.com/en

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar

You are always so helpful Sidneynick.

I will look up those websites nearer the time.

We have only been on the Eurostar once before and that was with a holiday company, but they are getting so expensive I thought I would see how much, and how easy it would be to do it ourselves.

Do you know when is the best time to go for the weather and the flowers?

Is Aix en Provence a good base to see other parts of Province?

Thanks again.

Barbara

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar

June/July is a lovely time for seeing Provence. Aix is a good base, but local public transport in Provence is not designed for tourists: a rental car makes it much easier.

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar

As I said in my message, my husband and I are 70 years old, but what I didn't tell you is that we have never driven abroad, so I would be very worried to let my husband with his advanced years behind the wheel in France.

I was hoping I would be able to arrange trips to various villages and towns from Aix. Is this possible?

Thanks again Sidneynik.

Barbara

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar

While I like Aix en Provence, Avignon would really be more central and offer much better transportation options.

From Avignon you could take a bus to Pont du Gard/Uzès, St. Rémy de Provence, Sts. Maries de la Mer, or by train it´s relatively easy to reach Arles, Aix en Provence, Isle sur la Sorgue among other locations.

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurostar

Hi,

No need to go via Paris (unless you want to, of course). Change at Lille Europe for Aix en Provence, and in July and August there are weekly direct trains to Avignon. Check the Eurostar website for more details.

7. Re: eurostar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:52 am, November 06, 2015
UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eurostar

The best website to book from is www.tgv-europe.com because you can specify that you want to change in Lille. The eurostar website doesn't let you do this or at least didn't last time I tried and I just had another look and it still doesn't seem to. It always routes you via Paris which means changing stations, a right pain with luggage.

There are Eurostar trains direct to Avignon on Saturdays from mid July to mid September.

Gard, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,837 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eurostar

I agree that Avignon makes a better base than Aix if you're not planning to have a car.

While there are direct trains from London to Avignon, they are only in peak season, so you gain ease of travel, but lose out to crowds and high temperatures. So unless you particularly want to be at the Avignon festival, June would probably be a better option.

We prefer to take a Eurostar train which changes at Lille, as we don't then have to cross Paris. We once nearly missed one after being stuck in traffic on a coach, following a tour.There are fewer trains via Lille, but it's a lot less hassle.

June is a lovely month to see the area; it's not yet too crowded, and temperatures might be very comfortable; having said that, this year it was 30+ by mid-June around us, and we were taking to the pool to keep cool.

If you travel by train, don't over-pack. You need to be able to lift your bags on and off trains yourselves, and besides, so many clothes dry overnight that it's little bother to do a little rinsing through at night. Big coats and jumpers won't be needed, just a light mac and cardigan-type top or two.

Here's a link to Avignon tourist office, where you'll find all sorts of info, including guided tours and printable brochures: http://www.avignon-tourisme.com/home-1-2.html

If you want any more info, just come and ask us. I'm sure you'll not find it too difficult to arrange, and that you'll have a lovely time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eurostar

Another vote for going via Lille. With a reasonably, but not excessively, early start from St Pancras and a connection wait of less than an hour in Lille, you can get to Avignon by the latter part of the afternoon, including catching the shuttle bus (navette) from Avignon TGV station into the middle of town.