We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern France

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Southern France

We're planning a 1 week trip in the fall to southern France and the cities we'd like to see are Nice,Avignon,Arles,Les Beux,St. Remy,and Aix En Provence. We also have to spend 2 days up in Annecy to visit some friends. If anybody has any suggestions on an itinerary we would really appreciate it. We were thinking of flying Delta in and out of Nice and renting a car.

Thanks,

OC

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern France

Since all of the places that you have listed are easily reached from a single, well centered base, I recommend that you base yourselves in St. Remy instead of moving from place to place.

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern France

Thank you for your suggestion on staying in St. Remy.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern France

sfstennis,

is the 2 days in Annecy part of a 7 day trip? If so I think you've got way too much on your plate, especially if you plan on spending some time in Nice. If you spend 1 or 2 nights in Nice, that leaves you three days to drive to Provence, and then make all your side trips. I suppose its theorectically possible but 5 days (counting your arrival day) to visit Nice and these sites in provence is not much. As Alpilles Gal indicated, a home base like St. Remy (especially good if you have a car) will allow you to visit Arles, Les Baux, Avignon and Aix-en-Provence. If you only have one week you might wish to consider flying to Marseille (instead of Nice). The airport is actually quite close to Aix-en-Provence, and a relatively short drive to St. Remy. Then base yourself in St. Remy for 5 nights before moving on to Annecy. The drive from St. Remy to Annecy will take the better part of a day, depending upon traffic.

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern France

Thank you. I'll check on flights to Marseille. It also may make more sense to fly home from Geneva than drive back south.

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern France

I am also planning a trip for this June. While i have not been to the area yet, I thoought i might recommend for you a small hotel which is well placed among the locations you have listed: Villa St Maxime in St Paul de Vence. I only suggest this as it gets TOP ratings from both TripAdv and Frommers. Read what the TripAdv posts say. Also, its walking distance from the ancient town of St Paul de Vence which sounds like a marvelous destination for a day. FYI, this location is between Nice and Cannes - a bit to the north of the coast.

PS: I have only been to France once before but did stay a few nights in Annecy. Wonderful place... KL

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern France

Two time elements which might be missing from your itinerary:

1. Time to adjust to a timezone change upon your arrival at Nice.

2. Time to travel among these locations.

I should recommend your selecting Nice and either western Provence or Annency. It would help if you changed your departure to Geneva. There should be a place to drop off your car at the airport and stay in France thus precluding horrendous one way drop off fees.

Plan on most of one full day to drive from Avignon or Aix-en-Provence to Annency.

As for a base in western provence, I much prefer either Gordes or Isle-sur-la-Sorgue over St. Rémy but there are a good number of possible locations based upon your hotel/restaurant preferences.

While the Marseille airport is in western Provence (it's no farther to Aix-en-Provence from there than it is to reach central Marseille), there are no non-stop flights from the US while there are (in Summer) into Nice meaning you really cannot avoid passing through Nice unless you flew into CDG and connected the same date into MRS.

All in all, you have a minimum 10 day itinerary which you are attempting to squeeze into 7.

Toledo,Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern France

Thank you for your help. i'll follow up on your suggestion.

8. Re: Southern France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence