We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Which Aix-en-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Hello...

It's our first time to Paris (leaving end of April) and we've been debating if we should rent an apt for 2 weeks and soak up life as a Parisian, OR stay at a hotel and head to Provence - Avignon area for 3 or 4 days and head back to Paris to stay a night or 2 before returning home.

We're not sure if there is enough to do in Provence or if we should save that area for another trip since it requires 2.5 train one way.

Finally your thoughts on Hotel Crystal in Paris - heard they just renovated. And Hostelerie De Crillon Le Brave vs. Les Carmes de Hotel in Provence???

Big Thanks for your insight!

Isle sur sorgue...
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Hi Cayene,

As the owner of Les Carmes I an't coment on that part of you question!

As for the part about enough to do in Provence..no problem. People who caome and stay with us for a week always have plenty to do every day. There is so much to see in our area and we are well situated for all the main places on the "must see" list

I think a week in Paris & a week in Provence is a good idea.

Have a great holiday

ESCARGOT

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Why not rent an apartment for a week in Paris, then go to Provence for four or five days and return for a niight or two in a Paris hotel before you fly home?

I think Les Carmes looks delightful. One of these days I'm going to slow down long enough to spend a few days there enjoying the early evening sun and the chirping of the cicadas, niibbling on some olives (tapenade perhaps?), sipping a glass of rosé and looking forward to that night's delicious dinner...

Now that sounds just about perfect...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Irish Rover...I've seen you all over other postings...so glad you dropped by to share some insight...I was thinking already of doing what you suggested but hate thought of shlepping luggage back and forth.

Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Schlepp-schmepp!

Here's what you do. First you pack light, but you already know that. Second you take a taxi from CDG to the lovely apartment you have rented in the Marais. This was a very smart move because you will then be only a short taxi ride from Gare de Lyon whence your blue and silver carriage (also known as the TGV) will whisk you to Avignon. Right outside the Avignon TGV station you will pick up Carriage the Second aka your rental car that will schlepp you and your luggage without complaint to Les Carmes (or wherever)...

After some serious R&R and dolce far niente Provence style, you simply reverse the process to return to Paris. Your hotel will welcome you and enfold you in its quiet and understated French luxury...

(I think I should be wriing advertising copy for luxury B&Bs in Provence and hotels in Paris...)

Speaking of which, I don't have any personal experience of the Crystal but it is in a great location especially if you'd like a good jazz club for one of your last nights...

Don't wait too long before making some decisions. It wouldn't hurt to start the apartment search pretty soon if you haven't already...

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Irish's advice is exactly what I would do.

The main difference between Les Carmes and Hotel Crillon Le Brave, beyond the location itself and the type of establishment, is price. You will spend a great deal more at Crillon and, in my opinion, the difference may not be worth it... and the village of Crillon offers little services, it is a tiny village. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty... I pass by it nearly every day, but if you want a variety of restaurants, boulangeries, bars a market, etc., Crillon may not be the best choice.

Just my opinion.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

Thank you so much for info...

Toutou, would you please send me your email so I can obtain your Tips Document ?

Thanks!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

lori.lane@cegetel.net

Toutou

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
236 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

My vote is similar to other postings - spend time in both Paris and Provence.If you have lots of energy, you can fly into Paris, change planes, and fly directly to NIce - spend a week in the south, and then a week in Paris. This worked well for us - but we were only dealing w/a 6 hour time difference. ) You could also spend the middle portion of your vacation in the south. There are airports in Avignon and Nice, and you can also fly into one and slowly drive across the South of France and return from the other airport. (However, check to see from which airport in Paris the flights leave and arrive. There are so many beautiful places to stay - St. Paul de Vence, Aix-en-Provence, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorge, Arles, and we find the driving quite easy. It's been 3 years since we've done this, but we stayed in incredible b&bs if you need suggestions. One last thought - the airline staff often goes on strike, which is a bit nerve wracking, but the strikes don't last long...

9. Re: TWO Weeks in Paris...Too long??? Need Help ASAP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence