We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

I'll be staying in Avignon for a few nights next month without a car and would like to do a day trip through Provence. I'm interested in both seeing history/monuments/culture and wine.

On the day I can do it (a Tuesday), I've narrrowed it down to 2 tours. Both go to Orange, Les Baux de Provence, Pont du Gard and include a Chateauneuf du Pape wine tasting. The differences are:

the Provence Panorama tour goes to St Remy de Provence and includes a chocolate/wine matching tasting. I like the idea, but not eating chocolate is not a deal breaker for me.

the Provence Reservation tour goes to Gordes and Roussillon.

Both tours have good reviews on TA.

So, which towns would you recommend? St Remy or Gordes and Roussillon?

A Taste of Nice Food Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Nice Food and Wine Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Cultural Tours
Provence Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Day Trips
Avignon Prestige Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Cultural Tours
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

I vote for Gordes and Roussillon since you will not get to visit any of the Luberon villages otherwise. The sight of Gordes "spilling" down the hill will knock your socks off and Roussillon is a beautiful site. Both villages are touristy but rightfully so. You do not want to miss these and I bet the tour will, at least, pass by the Senangue Abbey. Stunningly beautiful in its valley setting. St. Remy is not remarkable, IMO, and you can have chocolate anywhere.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Great advice from Anna! All three are very touristy but as Anna said, St. Remy is not particularly remakable. Gordes and Rousillon for sure.

Edited: 10:08 pm, August 17, 2013
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Anna-Roz is spot-on! While we base ourselves not too far from St. Remy, aside from the lovely Roman ruins (Glanum) which sits on the outskirts of town, and is well worth visiting, IMHO, a chocolate/wine matching tasting wouldn't do it for me either.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Thanks! You're right about the chocolate - I'm going to Paris after Avignon and there are plenty of places to eat chocolate there. (-:

St Remy's main claim to fame seemed to be the fact that Van Gogh was hospitalised there. I like his art (which I can see in Paris), but I don't particularly feel the need to do a pilgrimage following in his footsteps. I was wondering if St Remy actually had anything else going for it. Sound like maybe not......

The tour that includes Gordes and Roussillon is a little bit more expensive, but it is also a couple of hours longer. Sounds like it's worth it. And the pictures I've seen of Roussillon in particular look spectacular.

Thanks again.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

The relatively nearby Roman ruins at Glanum, on the outskirts of Les Baux are well worth a visit, as is the Cathedrale d'Images . However, since you will not have access to a car, you have to go with what the tours are offering, and the one featuring Gordes and Roussilion is surely the way to go - have a great trip !!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Another vote for Gordes and Roussillon, really interesting to see and much preferable to St Remy.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Thank you everyone! It's clear which way I should go when local experts and tourists have unanimously made the same recommendation. And I can hardly complain about them being touristy when I'm a tourist myself. (-:

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

I would suggest you do St Remy on your own. You can go by yourself using the bus

saintremy-de-provence.com/uploads/brochures/…

It would be a miss not to go there....

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

I don't understand the charm that people see in St Remy. So my vote goes to Gordes and Roussillon as well.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Remy or Gordes/Roussillon?

Agree with Texhills 150%.