We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
15 reviews
Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

We're going to le Luberon, Saint-Remy-de Province and the Cote d'Azur between Toulon and Cassis in July.

Can anyone recommend any books by French authors set in these areas? My husband would prefer the books to be in French, but if anyone knows any titles in English that would be helpful,too. He likes crime stories very much.

I would love to read some novels set in these areas by American or British authors, in English. I love all sorts of fiction, crime stories are not my favorite, but OK..

Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, I've used this forum to organize our trip. It's great.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,531 posts
1. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Classic rural Provencal writers include the fairly prolific Pagnol and Giogno. Also Daudet ( 'Letters from my Windmil'l). Moderns - the unique Francoise Sagan's Bonjour Tristesse ( the Esterel coast) . German - Suskind's Perfume ( Grasse). English /US F. Scott Fitzgerald 'Tender is the Night', Laurence Durrell's 'Avignon Quintet' ,Hemingway's 'The Garden of Eden'. I especially like Nicois writer Patrick Mondiano's 'Honeymoon' ( set in Juan les Pins).

Ed

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Let's not forget Peter Mayle who has a series of books set in rural provence - nice holiday reading.

UK
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Madam will you talk by Mary Stewart is o book that made me want to vidit Provence.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources -Marcel Pagnol

Jean Contrucci has written a whole load of historical crime novels set in Marseille- series Les nouveaux mysteres de Marseille

a book i have just ordered but haven't received yet in the post - The Fly-Truffler: A Novel by

Gustaf Sobin

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

"Perfume" is set for a bit in Paris and then in and around Grasse. The book was originally published in German but then came out in English and French. It's by Patrick Suskind; the book was made into a film. Very dark!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

I have read a couple of novels with a detective called Jacquot as the hero. In English and by , I think, Martin O ' Brien. Set in Provence. Jacquot was a former rugby player.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Totally love Peter Mayle, and am almost convinced that he's the reason that we became totally hooked on Provence and have spent every September there since '95.

While we do not spend much time in or along the Riviera / Cote d'Azur, you may want to check out "The Suitors," by Cecile David-Weill. I loaded it onto my Kindle yesterday, and am finding it to be a really good read, especially regarding the Cap d'Antibes.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Not a "light read", but a runner up in the Booker Prize 2012. This novel is set in Provence and Villefranche sur Mer

Swimming Home by Deborah Levy

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,531 posts
9. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Thanks for the tip on Deborah Levy's 'Swimming Home' vicolivia - it's got some interesting reviews on the web.

Judging from the short extract below I will save it for one of my black mood days !.....

"She had seen Kitty arrange the tails of three rabbits Mitchell had shot in the orchard in a vase — as if they were flowers. The thing was, she must have actually cut the tails off the rabbits herself. With a knife. She must have sawed through the rabbits with a carving knife.”

BTW Guillame Musso is worth a try - one of France top selling novelists. Some in English translations. He is an Antibois and lives in Antibes. None of his books are set in Antibes but in a recent interview he said he is thinking of one - which we await excitedly.

guillaumemusso.com/en/page-13-around-the-wor…

Fred Varga - French detective writer has a nice novel set in the Mercantour national park about wolves and murderers' 'Seeking whom he may devour' in English.

Ed

Australia
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Fiction set in Provence and Cote d'Azur

Thanks for the other book suggestions: and Swimming Home is an easy and short read - it's just not all "sunshine and light" as your extract demonstrates! It's fun to read books and see movies in places you visit, isn't it. Maybe we should get a post going on movies set there too?