We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best village base in Provence

Sydney, New South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best village base in Provence

My Husband and I are travelling with our 9 months old in March to Provence, we fly in and out of Lyon and hire a car and are wondering where best to base ourselves. Looking for a nice village in either one place for 8 nights or two places for 4 nights each. We have been to Avignon before and are interested in Lyon, Rhone Valley, Verdon Gorges and small villages.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best village base in Provence

Well, Lyon is not a small village, nor is it or the Rhone Valley a part of Provence. If Provence is what you want, flying into Marseille would get you there more quickly.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best village base in Provence

Since you are flying in to Lyons you will definitely be able to follow the Rhone right down to Provence. While I would normally think in terms of staying in two separate and distinct parts of Provence, I can say that there are so many great villages from which to choose, it would be imposssible to list them all. I have used Arles and Bonnieux in the Luberon/ vauclaus areas and AIX and St. Paul de Vence in the South. All worked out great. I have to also say that I really liked the Provencial wines up and down the Rhone, e.g. Chatateauneuf, Gigondas, and, of course, Cotes de Rhone

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best village base in Provence

The Rhone Valley is not (to my taste) one of the best place to stay unless south of Montelimar. And in March, the weather will def be nice in the south.

St Remy is a good base for Provence since you can do a lot during the day.

Gorges du Verdon are pretty nice but I'm not sure that all hotels and places will be opened at that time of the season since it is early....

And Lyon is the second largest in france (suburb incl)

What is it you really want to discover?

Sydney, New South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best village base in Provence

we have decided to spend a few days in Lyon just to explore the city and maybe to a side trip to geneva as my husband has not been to switzerland, and then head down to Provence along the Rhone. Luberon seems attractive to us as a base however is there much open in March? We would like to stay somewhere that we can shop at local markets and cook our own food and drive to places of interest to walk in nature or through villages.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best village base in Provence

L'Isle sur la Sorgue is just a couple of kms away from the western edge of the Luberon and is large enough that almost everyting is open in March. It also has 2 markets a week (Thursday and Sunday). I like it as a base....

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best village base in Provence

In March not everything will be reopened so I suggest you stick to larger villages like Isle sur la Sorgue or St Remy (20 mn from avignon or Arles) and where there is still a life.

7. Re: Best village base in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:29 pm, December 20, 2015
Edited: 12:29 pm, December 20, 2015
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best village base in Provence

How many days will you have in Provence? If you want to cook your own food (have your own kitchen), you may find that many vacation rentals require a minimum stay. It can be hard to find places that allow 2 or 3 night stays. Not totally impossible, but not easy.

9. Re: Best village base in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 04, 2014