We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in La Rochelle!

Holmestrand, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
One week in La Rochelle!

My fiancee, my niece (17) and I will stay in La Rochelle for a week from July 11 th - 18 th. We have bought the trip through TransProvence in Norway, and the hotel, rental bikes, trip suggestions and four dinners are included. The hotel is Hotel Francois 1er, 15 rue Bazoges. Checked the homepage last night and found out there is no aircondition. Will that be a problem then? I suppose July may be on the hot side? I kind of looked forward to a cool room after biking trips, but I might as well not worry!

The included restaurants are Les Comediens and Les 4 Sergents. Would Les Flot be the best alternative for something more fancy one of the other nights? We enjoy gourmet restaurants, with great food and and wine! Is it a must to make reservations in advance?

We are really looking forward to a wonderful week! I will bring my aquarelle colours and maybe do a sketch or two. We've been told the light is special and the town is beautiful!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

There is a wonderful restaurant in La Rochelle: restaurant Richard Contanceau- it's on the beach and near the center of town: Plage de la Concurrence

countanceau@relaischateaux.com

jhgrady

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

Although it can be hot in July, it is likely that if this happens it will generate cooling breezes from the sea, so I would not worry too much about air conditioning. A good general tip is to close the curtains or shutters in your room during the day, and open the windows at night.

I ate at Les Codediens a few months ago and I very much enjoyed it; Ls 4 Sergents looed fine. Howeer there are a lot of restaurants in La Rchelle, so look around and if any particularly appeal for the nights that you are not booked certainly you could make a reservation.

Enjoy the trip and happy painting.

Holmestrand, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

Thank you both very much for good advices!

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

Sketching - what a lovely way to make your holiday memories! Yes the light is special and the town IS beautiful!

England
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

Hi

i live very near La Rochelle for the last five years and if you want a great meal go to La Flot it is very special service and the food are wonderful you will not be dissapointed

Holmestrand, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

Thank you! We will dine there on Monday and are really looking forward to that. It will probably be the week's best food and wine experience!!

My niece, now 17, really enjoys good food, and it's such a pleasure to take her to restaurants like that.

Can't wait to go! Sunday is coming up soon!

7. Re: One week in La Rochelle!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 05, 2011