We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Saumur

Which Saumur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Saumur

Will take train from Paris to Saumur and back on the same day. The main thing to do there is visiting Musee des Blindes. Thinking to visit one or two more places if time allows. Not sure whether those places are within walking distance -- Cadre Noir, Caves Louis de Grenelle, Pierre et Lumiere? any suggestion that which one we should or be able to visit by foot?

6 replies to this topic
Parcay Les Pins
Level Contributor
32 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Saumur

The Caves de Louis de Grenelle are less than 5 minutes away from the Musée des Blindes and well worth a visit. From there you could walk up to the Chateau de Saumur, for a magnificent view over the River Loire. There's the Panorama café there to sit and take in the view. From the chateau it is an easy walk back down into the old part of Saumur, in particular Place St. Pierre, where there is a great market on Saturdays. Total walking time - according to Google maps from Musée des Blindes/Caves de Grenelle/Chateau is 29 minutes!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Saumur

Thank you, it sounds like a great route to go. I look at the map that showing the train station is a little bit distance to Musee des Blindes. Do I need to take a bus from train station to the Musee or can just walk over there? Thank you,

Parcay Les Pins
Level Contributor
32 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Saumur

I'm sorry, only just saw your reply. The walk is 4.6 k from the station and will take you about an hour, so a taxi might be the best option. To walk, it takes you over the River Loire with a magnificent view of Saumur and the chateau. You then go through the main part of Saumur town, which is very pleasant, and then the older part of the town, basically walking in a straight line. The second part is another 2k and not as interesting!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Saumur

thank you, I think it should be easy to get taxi from station to Musee, then after that we can just walk to the other interest points. Is it easy to get a taxi back to Station on any place or we need to reserve the taxi first? sorry, questions just keep coming out. First time to Franch. Thanks.

Parcay Les Pins
Level Contributor
32 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Saumur

There is a taxi rank at the station, so probably your best bet, then arrange a meeting point for the return journey.

Have a great trip!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Saumur

thank you very much. I know I will enjoy the trip very much.

Reply to: day trip to Saumur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted