We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike w/kid during Nov

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bike w/kid during Nov

I've been looking at the posts and links for bike itineraries in the Loire so I can take my son there for five days during his Toussaint break.

Kinds of places we want to see: chateaux, roman and medieval sites, the caves, moulins and other hydraulic stuff, various, rock formations, and the like (kid loves history and nature, not Disney-esque type things).

Our global budget is about 700 euro.

A couple of questions for the experts:

1. Is the weather acceptable for biking with kid and not in the rain at that time of the year?

2. We are based in Paris, and are thinking of renting a car and taking our own bikes on a rack, to give us more flexibility with unkind weather. But stillm is it worth renting a car, or will a train and bike be a comparable option in terms of bidget and flexibility? If so, train to where, especially considering question 3?

3. We want to do about 30km/day max on bike (we can handle 50, but I want this to be pleasant and relaxed). We are thinking of establishing a base lodging from which to radiate out on our bikes each day, and return to relax in same place in the eve. Does Amboise make sense? Other base places better?

4. Other tips, suggestions, advice, etc?

Many thanks

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike w/kid during Nov

Hello

Just replied with info re: Touraine Sud as interesting base for cycling in Autumn.

Wanted to add that for a day off the bikes, I think a trip to Close Luce, Amboise would be worthwhile ..a really good day out for all ages but I think the interactive often lifesize models of Leonardo de Vinci inventions would really be a hit for an 11 year visitor...

We (two adults, 6 & 8 year old) all had a great time there 'playing' with the inventions, we also really enjoyed a set menu lunch in the town centre at l'Epicerie in the town centre, great service (to the children as well as the parents) great value, and great tasty regional food.

Food for thought :)

2. Re: bike w/kid during Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 11, 2010