We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Only in Port Vila for 6 days so can't really afford a full day out. But have heard the snorkelling is much better if we do one of the above. ?? Is it worth doing or is Hideaway Island snorkelling just as good??

Also, whats the best way to get to / see Lelapa?? How far is the drive to Havannah Harbour?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Nothing is too long a drive on Efate! It's maybe an hour to Havannah Harbour, probably less to be honest. I snorkelled off the Eco Lodge at Havannah and it wasn't that great. I'd rate Hideaway as much better. That said I really wanted to try Lelepa but didn't get a chance. Next Time!

http://youtu.be/G2FZaL9HgvY

That's video off the Eco Lodge at Havannah, I'll add the Hideaway video for comparison in a day or so (haven't edited it up yet).

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

It's not clear what you mean when you say "Only in Port Vila for 6 days so can't really afford a full day out"?

Do you mean you don't have the funds to spend on a day tour?

Anyway, a full day out on the Coongoola is a good choice, a fantastic and relaxed day and possibly the best quality snorkelling - amongst other things - you will get out of Vila.

I haven't done an organised day trip to Lelepa but have been to a beach on the island and it was beautiful.

Port Vila
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

I would have to reccomend Congoola it is such a nice day out,

I live in Vila and would go on the congoola at least 5 times a year,

It is worth wasting a whole day to go on!!!

about 50% of the time you will see Dolphins jumping beside the boat,

ITs MAgical!!!!

100% must do

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

A quick and dirty video from Hideaway Island Snorkeling.

http://youtu.be/hAbx4Wg1WkU

It's not that hard to see why people rave about it, "it's just there" despite a good 50-100 people in the water at times the fish and reef just do fish and reef stuff :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Lelepa day trip is great...they collect you from your accommodation and lunch and snacks are included.

Its not just a snorkelling trip but a cultural tour as well, looking at the caves, village, fishing opportunity, nature walk showing some plants used in villages, fantastic snorkelling in a blue hole etc. Its a very full day and well done by the local families.

Coongoola is also good but lots of time is taken on the boat to get to Moso Island (next to Lelepa) but if you love boats this is the one for you.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Second video from Hideaway Island. Much more fish to be seen in this one and probably a better reflection of what can be seen!

http://youtu.be/RvEo4czUz6o

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

Also you could try reef explorer in port vila they do snorkelling trips round Iririki and Ifira and are quite cheap

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
333 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

We've been on the Coongoola (not the full day trip) and done the Lelepa tour...we cannot recommend the Lelepa tour more highly it was truly spectacular!!!!

9. Re: Coongoola or Lelapa for a day trip from Port Vila?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Efate