We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blood testing weekly to check INR

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Blood testing weekly to check INR

Hi

We are staying in Combreux in the Loire Valley for a week shortly. We are also spending a couple of days in Normandy prior to that.

Unfortunately I have had a medial problem in the past couple of weeks, requiring me to take Warfarin - an anti coagulant daily. I have been having daily blood tests, now weekly - to ensure that I am on the correct dosage.

It will probably be that I will have to have a blood test whilst on holiday in France. Does anyone know where that could be carried out somewhere near the area we are staying?

Will it be a GP? Or a pharmacist?

I am happy to postpone until I return home, but I suspect that NHS staff are going to press me to get it done whilst away.

TIA

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

You will need to see a French GP. All know about the INR. The doctor will give you a prescription (it will cover as long as you need). You bring the prescription to the most convenient lab and just go in and they will take your blood. They will give you a print out of the INR later the same day or at latest next morning. Cost will be 24 euro for GP visit. 14 euro per blood test.

Ed

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

You will need to go to a 'laboratoire d'analyses médicales'. Some require appointments but most accept walk-ins. You will need a prescription to get reimbursed and mostly for the staff to know what exactly needs to be done. You can use the yellow pages to find the nearest labs near your locations: www.pagesjaunes.fr/?idContext=-2104377256

Under "Quoi? Qui?" enter "laboratoire d'analyses médicales" and under "où?" the location (either town, village or post code if you know it).

Edited: 10:16 am, July 22, 2013
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

I have no idea if for INR tests they need to know your weight or not but if they do, make sure you know your weight in kilograms.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

Thank you for the prompt reply!!

I am hoping that I wont need to visit any medical services whilst away, but it's good to know it is quite simple to access.

5. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:32 pm, December 29, 2015
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

someone else did this not too awfully long ago -- and had no problems getting the readings done at the local laboratoire.

7. Re: Blood testing weekly to check INR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 24, 2014