We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire Valley to Amsterdam

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Loire Valley to Amsterdam

I am now more confused than ever. I am planning a trip with my husband in late September through early October. We are in our very late 60's and I am doing the itinerary alone as it is a surprise. We wil have luggage and don't travel lightly.

I have planned on spending 5 days in Paris then drive to Bayeux for 3 nights for the Normandy sites and a visit to Mont. St, Michel for one day before heading to the Loire Valley. At this time I don't have any particular destination in the LV to visit although I would like to see Chateau Chenonceau before returning to Paris for our trip home. There seems to be so much to see but he would not be happy stopping off at every town. Now my son says we should drive to Amsterdam for several day and leave from there.

My questions are: is this a good idea or should we stay in the LV. longer?. In what town/city/village would I need to be in order to drive to Amsterdam or do I have to drive back to Paris first.

Thank you

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

If this will be in a rental car and you pick it up in France and drop it in the Netherlands, there will be a huge extra drop-off fee (someone has to drive the car back to France), one that would likely be far more than the costs for the three of you to take the train to Amsterdam and back.

A map will show you where the Loire Valley is in relation to Paris and Amsterdam.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

Thank you, I had no idea about the drop off fee. Would you advise returning the car in Paris then take the train to Amsterdam or staying in the LV for additional days. There are two of us traveling and my husband will be the sole driver.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

yes -- it would be easiest to drive back to Paris, then take the train to Amsterdam.

(you could also return the car in Tours, then take the train to Paris, then across paris to take the train to Amsterdam...this may or may not be too much luggage maneuvering)

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

Maybe I missed it but how long were you planning to spend in the Loire? Why does your son think you should go to Amsterdam and cut short your time in the Loire?

If this trip is a surprise for your husband, I suppose you need to figure out as well which area he would enjoy more. I' m presuming this is for a birthday or some other milestone.

If you do decide to go to Amsterdam I concur that the train would be best.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

Thank you all for your suggestions. Should I go to Amsterdam I will go by train. There seems to be so much in the Loire Valley but I don't know how much my husband would enjoy. I don't think going from one village/town to another would make him happy. My son thought Amsterdam would add on another dimension to our trip. We do not have a time a schedule.

6. Re: Loire Valley to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014