We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in May - biking and off-the-beaten path ideas?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
3 days in May - biking and off-the-beaten path ideas?

I'll be driving from Paris in May and only have 3 days in Loire Valley. I do plan to visit one or two castles.

Is Ambrois or Blois a better choice to focus on to rent bikes and get into pretty countryside and see small villages for a few hours?

Is it worth stopping on the way in Troo, Vendome, Montare-Sur-Le-Loire for an off-the-beaten path experience or do you recommend skipping that?

I'd love to stay in a castle that is really a castle - turrets, Downton Abbey-like but I've also read about hotels in caves that sound interesting. Do you have recommendations in the vicinity of Ambrois or Blois?

Thanks.

MD
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in May - biking and off-the-beaten path ideas?

Lavardin is worth a visit and the drive to get there is pretty and hilly. Troo didn't strike us as anything special but it's so close to Lavardin you might as well see for yourselves.

We liked Vendome the one time we drove through that area. It was just an afternoon break on our drive but we could have stayed longer. It's a prosperous, bustling town with a river curving through it. There's a lovely downtown park and a pedestrian shopping street near the tourist office. Have a look at Vendome on Google Images.

2. Re: 3 days in May - biking and off-the-beaten path ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 06, 2014