We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day bicycle tour

Atlanta
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One Day bicycle tour

Will be spending one week in a chateau near Le Mans with total 4 families with lots of teenagers. We are considering a one day bike tour either along the Loire or visiting nearby Chateau. Can anyone recommend a cycling company that has bikes available for a 50-75km self guided tour?

We all have car transportation and willing to drive within one hour of Le Mans. The ideal day would be rent bikes, 2 hour casual ride along Loire, take the long way back visiting some Chateaux with stops alng way for Lunch and dinner. Is this do- able? Any recommendations are would be appreciated.

Jim Hannon- Atlanta

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day bicycle tour

Sounds perfectly doable to me. you might want to pick up a copy of the Lonely Planet book on cycling in France which will give you some ideas about where.

I have rented a bicycle in Tours, quite a few years ago now, to explore the Loire valley. I don't think that would be the best place for you though. Tours is a pretty big city with heavy traffic and you'd spend a fair bit of your day just getting away from it.

Maybe Amboise or Blois would be a better place to look. I'm sure both have places where bikes could be rented by the day. From Blois you could cycle out to the huge estate and forest area around Chambord. From Amboise maybe over to Chenonceau and explore the somewhat quieter valley of the Cher. (And I know a really good (and good value) 1-rosette place for dinner over that way, but maybe a little too fancy after a day of biking - Le Cheval Blanc in a little village called Blere between Chenonceau and Tours. My mouth is watering just thinking of it...)

Have fun!