We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

we would be in tours and in the loire valley for 3 nights....

any tempting and good recommendations for snacks, lunches

and dinners?? not too expensive though;)

have anyone been to the light show in Chateus Blois? would anyone recommend that over the night show in Chateau Amboise?

which chateaus have any of you been too? which are your recommendations?

we will be staying in Manoir De Chaix in loire valley and in Le'

Jardin'de eden in normany? have anyone stayed there before?

can't wait,

sue

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Hi Susan,

There should be a flag which lets you translate the page. There are sometimes discounts for 2. The Grand Parcours opens in the day time - I think it closes at 6 plus in the evening, and the Cinescenie starts only at night and usually ends after midnight. It'll be a heavy day, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As for Normandy, there are the D Day Beaches - it depends on which part of Normandy you'll be going to.... The Mont-St Michel is lovely, Dinan, Giverny, St Malo - all lovely places. Feel free to drop me an email at xiuyu@pacific.net.sg if you want..

I'm also going back to Normany myself - in June, and will be there on D - Day. Can't wait!

dunfermline
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Most of the Chateaux are not worth paying the price to get into, as they are mainly empty. Chenonceaux & Chambord are the best two and well worth visiting. Cheverny, I found fascinating but that could be because of the medieval horse pageant that was being done at the time. Azay le Rideau and Usse ( the basis for Sleeping Beauty) again is well worth looking at. If you are driving and have the time, just wander around and find a cheteau everywhere. For food, if you like steak go to a Buffalo Grill, they are everywhere and very cheap, the food is the same in all but prices are excellent as is the food. Enjoy the trip

UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Puy du Fou (daytime historical theme park Le Grand Parcours, and the totally separate event the evening sound-and-light show the Cinescenie) IS brilliant, but would be quite a long way from Tours. Though there is a new motorway link between Angers and Les Herbiers, which might speed it up a little.

For the Grand Parcours (daytime) you really DO need all day - in fact a day and a half I would say - to get round it all. No pre-booking required.

The Cinescenie (night-time show) doesn't start till 10 or 10.30pm (as it has to be dark), and finishes around 1am, so it's up to you whether you can then face a 2-hour+ drive afterwards... The seats are reputed to be booked up months in advance, but actually you could risk turning up on the night (AT the start time, rather than an hour in advance which is what ticket-holders have to do). At that point, the ticket office does its best to squeeze in those without tickets (probably against all health and safety regs!); in fact we bought tickets from a group organiser who had more than he needed; he was selling them alongside the ticket office, so we thought it would be OK. (NB if you do buy tickets in advance, you cannot get the money back if you decide not to go; hence group organisers being keen to unload the tickets like this at the last minute.)

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Thank you for all your helpful tips and advise:)

Jade, I must say a big "Thank you" for mentioning "Puy Du Fou"

this really lighted up my dear husband's day:) He was dreading it to be a big shopping trip again....like what happened the last time in Paris *LOL* where I was dragging him to find my favourite shop "Mango":) and going to Galleries

By the way,do you know a Taiwanese girl called Maggie?

My buddy's Maggie's close friend is a girl called Xiao Yu and Xiao Yu (Taiwanese) husband is french too:)

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Does anyone of you think it's safe to leave our luggage in the car boot in Versailles? Or should we put the luggage in the locker instead?

Thanks

sue

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Hi!

I think it depends on where you park your car...in the grounds of the Versailles car park? Which lockers are you talking about?

BTW, traffic going into Paris is the worst on Sunday evenings/night. Sat should be all right.... Basically because everyone heads to the country over the weekend.......

If you do end up going for the Puy Du Fou, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!! I will be at the Puy Du Fou in exactly one month from now! I will be bringing friends (from London) there and I can't wait for them to see it, especially since one of them was a history major!

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

We will be parking in the Versailles Car Park, but there is an option of putting our bags in a "locker" (offered by Versailles).

I am not sure if it is a locker or just a storage place for bags?

Please advise:)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Puy Du Fou is an amazing place an absolute must do. It is the history of the Vandee from Roman times to present day. The day shows are fantastic. The Roman one is Ben Hur in minature complete with Christians thrown to real lions and a chariot race. If you go to the evening (I don't remember it starting quite as late as others have said) ask for English seats and you get headphones with the comentary translated. There are other bits in French only, but this will not spoil it.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: cafes/pattiseries....recommended chateaus in loire valley

Keep in mind that the chateaux during the Renaissance didn't have so much furniture inside, as the court would go from one chateau to the other, packing away to bring the furniture to next chateau and so on...So don't be surprised that today a place like Chambord which was a royal chateau doesn't have a lot of furniture. Private chateau usually have more furniture as the proprietors wouldn't move from their chateau to another, as they had just one usually. In Normandy don't miss Mont St Michel, the landing beaches, Honfleur (half a day enough), Rouen (one day if possible) and Giverny if you like flowers. St Malo is in Brittany, although not very far from Mont St Michel