We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

I am concerned about access and parking at the course. 1. How soon should we be at the practice for instance? 2. Will the car parked in the open be secure? (We will have the latest (2015) Audi A5 convertible.) 3. Would it be advisable to park in a secure car park in the village (if there is one) and shuttle to the track? 4. IS there a shuttle, and if so: 5. from where and 6. how frequent.? Many questions. So if you could PLEASE help I would be eternally grateful. Oh I almost forget. 6. Which is the best vantage point for old fogies like us? Which covered stand would you recommend? Thanks HUGELY!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

You may find more info at http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/

For the Monaco GP I found f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/… which is a forum for people going to the event - there is probably something similar on the aforementioned site or their facebook page

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Thanks a lot. But I was actually hoping for first hand reports of someone actually having been here for the race and having experienced the frustrations that will inevitably attend on such a visit.

Edited: 10:23 am, December 11, 2013
Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hi

My husband went last year and we are going again in 2014. We stayed in Le Mans and he caught the tram down each day. We are both trying to remember where he sat and can't recall but I do know it was the undercover grandstand and he was very grateful to me for booking that as the weather was bleak. i bought tickets directly with the circuit and collected them at the gate which is why i can't find a copy. Le Mans is a fantastic town to spend some time in and trams and trains are very good and plentiful.

regards

Suz

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hi

I just bought my husbands tickets for next May and the privilege grandstand is the one he was very happy with.

regards

Suz

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

See reply below.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hi Suz, Thnk you so much for this info. That's what we should do. We were thinking of a flat/small cottage out of town for the week. But that requires us to park the car in town prior to taking the tram/bus to the circuit. Do you know of 24 hr parking garages in town? We will be driving the very latest A5 convertible that we would have picked up a few days earlier from Audi Ingolstadt, so are a trifle worried about it being stolen. Do apologize pestering you with questions. Thnks so much again! Regards.

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

The train station is also very easy option to consider. Meaning if you were able to walk from cottage to a station, then catch train to Le mans, you will be able to catch the tram from there to the race track. Our B & B supplied parking for us so we didn't have the worry of finding parking in Le Mans. Not sure if the local Le Mans tourist Bureau would know - I walked in there one day and the staff did speak quite good english. They have an online site http://www.lemanstourisme.com - is a mix of French and English. There may be an email address somewhere on it - had a quick look and it wasn't obvious and you could write to them. Le Mans is a really lovely town with some of the best French food we have ever eaten in their restaurants in the old town. We found the visit very enjoyable indeed.

regards

suz

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hi Suz, How superb of you answering my ?s. Thnks SO much. We have booked for the week at Alencon just north of LM. On your advice that's exactly what we will do, if trains run in the wee hrs. We may not sit through the entire Saturday night and leave say at 12-1 am Sunday to return later. So I suppose it depends on the hrs the trains from Alencon to LM operate. But I feel much happier not bringing the car to LM. Especially not the circuit itself. Definitely the tram from town to circuit and back. I will definitely also look at their website. Thnks for this too! Are you accompanying your husband?

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hi Karl

I will be going this year and have been 5 times so far! Have you considered puchasing a 'parking' ticket for the race? You can pay to park in one of the official carparks, "Blue, green, red etc" which are secure, and walk into the circuit for the event. If you are intending to stay out of town there are park and ride services - the tram is excellent and runs to a terminus right outside of one of the circuit entrances.

For practice you can turn up any time and you'll quite easily get a good view - I'd recommend having a good wander about (a lot of people carry folding chairs so they can have a seat when they like).

It's worth walking the track from the start finish straight out to tetre rouge so you can watch the cars come out under the dunlop bridge and all the way through the corner to the start of the mulsanne straight. Any of the grandstands on the start finish straight will afford you a good view of the action and are covered - if you have a reserved seat you can then arrive any time. If you don't book seats expect to turn up several hours before the start or finish to if you want to get a view.

On the friday during the day the pit lane is open to the public and you can walk up and down, see the teams working on the cars and spot the odd driver. You might enjoy the drivers parade on the friday night in the city centre. Usually attended by over 100,000 people. It's also worth walking around Le Mans Cathedral, which is beautiful and seeing the medieval walls.

A lot of people drive out to Mulsanne village and Arnage to watch the racing from these corners too - easier to get there and parked during practice and qualifying sessions than the main event.

The "village" trackside is definitely worth a visit to look at the merchandise and more cars - if you like Baked ham then the Pork Knuckle at La Taverne is great, if a touch expensive!

It's a great event, attended by people of all ages and many nationalities, I'm sure you'll have great fun.

Hunter Valley NSW...
Level Contributor
153 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone visited the race itself for the week of Le Mans?

Hello,

No I don't go to the bike race. I go off and do my own thing which included last year visiting Chartres for a day - beautiful town and Angers where I got so soaked trying to sight see I gave up in the end and just went to lunch instead. Had some very helpful TA people suggest both of these to me and they were winners. This year am heading to Paris for the day and still working on the other 2 spare days. If you haven't already have a look on the French train site. you can check out the train times and prices which may assist in your planning. http://en.voyages-sncf.com/. For any longer journeys you can safely prebook your tickets and print out electronic copies, some great savings can be made for booking 3 months out. for the smaller journeys like i did from Le Mans to Anger you can't prebook, but knowing times is handy.

Except for the weather we had a fantastic week in Le Mans and the surrounds. So this year I go expecting lots of rain and will be delighted for anything other than this!

regards

Suz