We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

Which Le Mans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

I am a total novice in Europe, first timer. I am going to an event in Le Mans in October and am looking for the most efficient way of getting from the airport in Paris to Le Mans without driving. Have been raking through fast train sites on the net but can't seem to get very far!

Cheers

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

www.tvgv-europe.com is the site you are looking for. I think Australians may have to resort to a small subterfuge on this site to avoid being redirected to RailEurope. You need to select Great Britain as your "home" country. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong about this. There are frequent (about every 30 minutes) TGVs from Montparnasse station in Paris to Le Mans taking just under an hour. There are also occasional trains direct from CDG taking about 40 minutes longer.

You can book up to three months ahead. By booking early you should be able to get discount fares known as PREMs, as low as €17 one way from Paris, somewhat more from CDG. Note that these tickets are of the "no change, no refund" variety.

I would recommend you allow AT LEAST three hours between your arrival and a TGV from CDG, four hours if you need to travel to Paris to take a train from Montparnasse.

Take a look at the timetables and fares on the TGV-europe site and come back if you have more questions, such as how to get to Montparnasse. (There are various ways and the least expensive, by RER/Métro, costs €8.70 one way and would take about an hour.)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

The French railways site in English is at www.tgv-europe.com/en

There are a few trains each day from CDG direct to Le Mans, and a frequent service from Paris Gare Montparnasse.

To see the direct trains, type "par" into the "From" box and then pause. A drop-down will appear, from which you can select the airport.

Tickets go on sale 90 days before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out fast. If you can get the cheapest tickets, known as PREMs, you can print them on your computer. For other tickets, say you want to collect in France. You can collect from a staffed ticket office at a station or from an SNCF boutique shop. If you have a "chip-and-PIN" card, you can also collect from a ticket machine. To collect, you must have the *exact* same card used for the booking.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

The tgv-europe site works fine for Australians. I believe one can use any English-speaking country except the USA. People who say they are from the USA get transferred to the more expensive RailEurope.com site.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping that there was one leaving from CDG, good to have that confirmed. Also thanks for the heads up on the web site.

Cheers,

5. Re: Charles de Gaulle to Le Mans transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:04 am, January 08, 2011