We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

strange lights in sky

Which Rouen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
strange lights in sky

I'm hoping someone will be able to solve a mystery here.

We travelled down from Calais to Caen last Friday evening(25th Aug), and about 1.30-2.a.m Sat morning whilst on the motorway somewhere between these two places we watched a peculiar 'happening' in the sky.

it consisted of cicles in a series of rings that swept slowly backwards and forewards accross high in the sky in a slow arc.We could see these for miles during our travels, and have had many a heated debate about what it was, from a light show, to aliens to cloud formations.

Does anyone have any idea what it really could have been? we'd be so pleased if anyone could resolve this mystery for us.

thanks,

Sue

Milton Keynes
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: strange lights in sky

test

Milton Keynes
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: strange lights in sky

We also saw similar lights on the clouds whilst driving from Rouen to Le Mans on the A28 autoroute both in September 06 and July 07, also around 1.30am on a Saturday morning.

It was in the middle of nowhere, not close to any large town and continued for 30 - 40 miles along the route.

The lights were projected onto the clouds, were various amorphous shapes (although this was probably caused by the shape of the clouds) and no beams from the ground were visible.

We have no idea what they are, either.

Pauline & Keith

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: strange lights in sky

I live in France and used to regularly drive up from the Loire Valley to Caen to catch the night ferry to Portsmouth. More recently I have gone from Dieppe or Le Havre, and now I take the day ferry from Caen.

However, I do remember when we used to do the night drive up to Caen, i.e. up until about four years ago, that there was a disco somewhere between Alencon and Falaise that had laser lights sweeping the sky. You could see them from a long way away. I cannot remember exactly where it was, but I wonder whether it could be the same thing that you saw.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: strange lights in sky

We live near a disco too and have the same phenomenon during the summer months on a Friday and Saturday night - it really does look eerie and there is no direct beam visible from the ground. We are only 6km away but I was amazed one time when we were travelling home from St Malo to see these lights a good 30km from home!!

5. Re: strange lights in sky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rouen