We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

Which Rouen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
448 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

Hello I am travelling from Rouen to Paris by Intercités train. It says "reservations recommended" but not required. Do I need to pay extra $ for this reservation or do you think I would be safe on an evening trip at around 8pm to Paris from Rouen for two people? Please let me know what you would suggest for this route.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

By the way I have a rail pass that is why I am asking if for this route people think I need to pay extra $ for reservations as it is not required but only recommended. However, I have no idea if this is a very busy route or not.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

Are you really going to use a day of a rail pass for this journey? The full fare is only €21.90, and I can see fares of €10 for next week.

I fear that a rail pass is not a very good idea in France.

At 8 pm, it is unlikely that there would be heavy traffic going towards Paris.

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

I have a rail pass because I am traveling all throughout france from north to south of the country during my 2 week stay. However my full trip that day will begin in Caen then to Rouen. However my final destination from Rouen is not Paris but Arras. The part of the trip is reservation required from Paris to Arras but not from Rouen to Paris so I did not want to pay for 2 reservations if it is not necessary.

Thanks

Edited: 1:19 pm, April 11, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

Alas, it would have been much, much cheaper for you to have made bookings direct with the train operator 3 months before travel. For example, Paris to Avignon can be bought for €22 wwhich I suspect is less than a day of your pass.

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

actually for all the train trips I am doing in france in 2 weeks the rail pass works out way cheaper as I calculated all my trips before buying and I got 20% off my rail pass and 2 people are travelling on the same pass so we save money that way too. Plus most of my trains don't require reservations.

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

If you got your prices off RailEurope, the prices shown there are well above what you would pay to the train operator.

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

That is very true but I got my prices off of

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

and it still worked out cheaper. I did my research and I appreciate the tip about Rouen to Paris I will not buy reservations for this trip the more $ I can save the better.

Thank you again :)

Edited: 5:21 pm, April 12, 2012
New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

We certainly didn't need a reserved seat going from Paris to Rouen this month. Trip is only about 70 minutes on the fast train, and there are lots of trains. All leave from Saint-Lazare, as I recall. The slower train, which makes more stops, takes another 10 minutes or so.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

The evening trains from Rouen to Paris should be OK for seats, especially if you are at the station when the platform is shown about 20 minutes before departure.

By the way, I know that you have done the planning but have you investigated getting to Arras via Amiens from Rouen to avod Paris and obviate any question of reserations. The problem is the infrequency of the Rouen-Amiens trains.

10. Re: Travelling from Rouen to Paris by train in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rouen