We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rouen ......... Dog Mess

Wales
3 posts
Save Topic
Rouen ......... Dog Mess

Hi

My husband and I have been to France before and found it to be a friendly, clean and very nice country.

We are going to France again next year and fancy a few days in Rouen. Looking earlier at reviews on hotels we were a little concerned to see that there are a few reviews that mention Rouen being not very nice because of lots of dog mess in the streets...

is this right?? i find it hard to believe as we found all the places we went to very clean... Has anybody else found this problem please.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

I don't believe Rouen is any better or any worse than any other French city of its size.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

Yes, yes, yes! Many places we've visited have that problem, going back many years. Unfortunately, many people just open the door and let the dogs out to do their business. We have a bad problem in the little town we live in, despite the best efforts of the mayor. In nearby Nimes they have a great solution to the problem; a man on a motorbike goes round with a big vacuum cleaner attached to his bike. End of problem!

I don't think I'd be put off by dog mess, unpleasant though it is; I just keep looking ahead and curse when I see turds - which is often!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

As sunshine817 says, no better, no worse than any other city in France.

My wife and I stayed in the Mercure Centre hotel for 2 nights over a weekend in July this year and spent the 2 days and nights walking the beautiful city without stepping or having a concious need to avoid any dogdoos. We did notice a group of homeless dogmen hanging out around the Eglise Jeanne d'Arc. Do keep an eye out for the old guy with the dog and rabbit. Really cute the way they all snuggle up together.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

The problem is throughout France.

Dieppe announced a war against the mess, Toulouse uses sat nav to pinpoint offending piles, a Marseilles resident sued the local council when she slipped on a poo deposit and Paris claims it's winning the war against errant dogs and their owners.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

France is markedly easier to walk in than it was when I first started visiting.

It's a long way from great, but it's WAY better than it used to be....long may the trend continue.

Wales
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

Thanks to all of you. undecided now :-( Le Mans we saw nothing, Calais also Nothing and in many villages all across france we did not see a problem but this has put us off a bit, dont want to be walking and advoiding it for days on end.

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

If you do not want to be avoiding doggie doos, I suggest you avoid France. And Italy. And Wales.....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

In France if you step in dog mess with your left foot it is good luck, so you only need to watch out for your right foot. This reduces your risk of misfortune 50%. Conversely, it increases your chance of good fortune by 50%.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

I have visited Rouen fairly frequently over the last 15 years or so and have never noticed the Poop Problem to be any worse there than anywhere else in France — or in Cardiff come to that...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rouen ......... Dog Mess

there used to be these vacuum cleaners that cleaned up sidewalks in central Paris but on our last couple of trips we haven't seen them -- they were bright green motorized cars with enormous vacuum attachments -- you do have to pay attention to the pavement when walking because the French have not reached the stage where they pick up after their dogs (some do of course but many do not)

on the other hand - a North American is likely to break a leg if they don't glance down as they walk as there are also open basement stairways and broken cobbles and so forth that need to be taken into consideration while walking

Get answers to your questions about Rouen