We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free

Are there any shops in Honfleur that I can purchase wine, whisky and brandy from while I'm there for a day at cheaper prices than the UK?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,895 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Duty free

Hermanaeriza, we currently have a very drinkable Bourgogne Aligote which we bought in Carrefour for €5.79 on our last trip in July. We certainly find that it is worth stocking up both on every day drinking wine and some more luxurious examples.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Duty free

Simple mix of price structure and supply chain - tax on wine and spirits is higher in the UK - so when added in buying in UK puts you at a disadvantage

Next is supply - alot of really good local wines in France have no distribution in the UK, and often just supply their local regional chain - many of the big Hypers have regional listingsfor suppliers - to buy local product

So if you shop around you will in general get much better french wine at a better price in france. If you are focused on buying from the new world - then you will get a better deal in the UK - as they have not made much headway in france, so the effect of economies of scale kick in on the price being offered.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Duty free

britraveller

We will definately go to France before Christmas, so will look out for that wine. Thanks

PLBucks

I'm not very keen on New World wines in general, although have had one or two nice Chilean reds. Yes, in France we generally concentrate on buying French wines, but sometimes we do see Rioja at good prices.

We also buy a couple of cases of the Saumur sparkling wines which I prefer to Prosecco or Cava.

We had been recommended to a small independent wine shop which we visited last year. We bought a case of a very drinkable red wine, along with some others, which was economical and drinkable. The shop was just outside Le Touquet, but haven't been there on our last couple of French visits.

Last September we were in Chateauneu du Pape, but unfortunately, I was the one who was driving. So, whilst my partner tasted some excellent wines, I just looked on. Life's not always fair.

14. Re: Duty free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 16, 2013