We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

Which Honfleur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Ramon...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

We'll be docking in Le Havre with our cruise. One of the land excursions is a tour to Honfleur. Can we do this on our own? What's the best way to get there from Le Havre - train, bus, taxi, or renting a car? We've five adults traveling together. I understand the drive between Le Havre and Honfleur could be about 45 minutes.

We've 14 hrs at Le Havre.

thanks!

Erica

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

The cruise excursions to Honfleur are nearly allways half day, to keep the cost down. With 5 of you in your groupe you'd be better off renting a car. Then you can take your own time at Honfleur and also see places like Cote de grace chapel, or Deauville.

Rent a car have an desk at the cruise center.

Rent A Car Le Havre <le_havre@rentacar.fr>

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

Thank you for the suggestion about renting a car. If we don't want to navigate the roads and drive ourselves, what's the next best mode of transportation?

Maybe we can do 1/2 day in Honfleur and 1/2 day to see Le Havre since we'll be at the port for 12 hrs.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

You can take a bus

www.busverts.fr/281-Horaires-2011-2012.html

You then have to get to the Bus stop near the railway station.

Or you can take a taxi. You then have to either get another taxi back or pay the taxi to wait whil eyou are there.

Or as you suggest, take the excursion then the rest of the day in Le Havre. Le Havre is an interesting place to visit. Get a guide pamphlet from the tourist office.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

How far is the station from the cruise port in Le Havre?

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

About 1.5 miles

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

I try to avoid renting cars in foreign cities but all the guides i tried are booked so we might end up renting a car. We dock in Le Havre June 4 and would ike to visit Etretal, Honfleur, Deauville & Fecamp. Is the drive difficult? Where can I find a route guide?

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

Use Mappy.com or viamichelin to plan and rent a GPS with the car or take your own.

Getting all that in in a day is a bit much. Deauville and Honfleur are South of the Seine and Etretat and Fecamp are North. You should go one way or the other or do Honfleur and Etretat.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

Thank you for your input, will definetely do Honfleur and Etretal then. We thought by that doing only sighseeing visits to Deauville & Fecamp the itinerary was feasible. Now I have to convince my husband to rent and car, or I will have to just go to Honfleur on the much dreaded cruise excursion.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

Once you get to Etretat and have climbed up an down the cliff you can judge if you have tim eto get to Fecamp. The main reason for visiting Fecamp is for the Benedictine distillerie. The abbey is worth a visit aswell.

Tierra Verde, Fl
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Le Havre on cruise - visit Honfleur

We are also arriving in Le Havre on June 4th on the Celebrity Infinity. We want to go to Honfleur and Deauville. Can you suggest how we can contact someone there to hire a taxi / van to take us there and bring us back? Someone on Cruise Critic said they did it last year but they're not the couple who pre-arranged it.