We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honfleur vs Giverny

Which Honfleur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Honfleur vs Giverny

I will be traveling in October with my husband and friends to Normandy. Originally I had planned a night in Honfleur and a night in Giverny leaving the next day to fly home to the States. Then couple we are traveling with does not want to spend one night in one hotel and then the next night in another hotel. They want to spend two nights in Giverny with just a few hours visit to Honfleur.

Any input from anyone? I thought nighttime/evening in Honfleur would be nice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

I think you'll love Honfleur - at least we did. We stayed at a cottage run by Les Maisons de Lea, which added to the charm of our trip. It was a three story house - bottom floor with kitchen and dining table and partial bath, 2 floor with tv, couch and day bed and the top floor has the queen bed with full bath. It was so charming. The hotel staff cleaned our room and we were able to order room service, though we never did. You have all the ammenities of the hotel, without the bother of other guests.

We didn't explore the hotel much as we were having too much fun on our own. I can't say anything about the rooms at the hotel as we never saw them but the hotel is across the street from the church and smack in the middle of 'quant' Honfleur.

If you enjoy walking - take the Cote de Grace walk up the hill and follow the road to the right to find a pretty old church near the telescopes to see the bridge. Quiet walk, very peaceful.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

thanks, love travel X4!!

btw, i am a former san diego resident and i dearly miss it. i hope one year to return to my beloved balboa park for the christmas on the prado, which i understand, they have now renamed.

merci beaucoup!

thebigsneeze

Boston...
Level Contributor
222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

The pastry shops in every town in France are fantastic.

We found out at the end of our trip that it is okay to get a pastry and then go to a place where they serve coffee. They will let you eat your pastry while you have your morning coffee. We went to a lot of "coffee shops" that only served coffee (no croissant) and only at the end of our trip did the coffee shop manager point to the pastry shop across the street for us to go get the pastry and bring it back! Go figure?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

You are correct, Christmas on the Prado is now called December NIghts to be held on the 4th and 5th this year. You're not far... you could make a weekend of it :)

As far as the pastries - I'll warn you that since we've been home we have tried numerous times to find a descent pastry and France has ruined us! You'll never have a better pastry, or crepe, than in France. So I suggest you do as we did - do a pastry crawl each day. We constantly bought pastries to walk-n-eat with, and then in Paris when we got to the crepe stands - well, that did it for us.

We went to a very fancy restaurant last night and I hoped we find something close to a French Pastry, I mean - we are in San Diego, right? Nope. I guess we will just have to go back to France.

Enjoy your trip!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

i'd love to go to "december nights,"(although xmas on the prado sounds so much more evocative) but i will be in paris! the best meal i ever had at the xmas on the prado was from a little latina lady selling tamales out of her cooler. manifique!

if you want an authentic french patisserie, or close to it,you could try the "renard," i believe it's called, in santa barbara (go to the independent bookstore, chaucers a couple doors down first) or in pasadena, on colorado blvd, across from the academy theatre. i forget the name.

(there used to be that fancy dessert place on 6th ave? in sd but i personally thought it was over-rated).

btw, my experience in attempting to order only a coffee at a paris restaurant is that the waiter was snotty and refused to serve me so i finally left. most of the bakeries i visited in paris served coffee so for me, at least, it didn't seem to be a problem. c'est la vie!

and yes, i love the sidewalk crepe stands too!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

>>>btw, my experience in attempting to order only a coffee at a paris restaurant is that the waiter was snotty and refused to serve me<<<

I don't think there is a café (as opposed to a restaurant) in Paris that would refuse to serve just a coffee to any patron. The exception would be at lunch or less frequently dinner time when many cafés will have some of their tables set up for meal service. If you sit at one of these tables you will be refused service if you do not order a meal. Even then most cafés will reserve at least a few tables for patrons who want nothing more than a cup of coffee or a drink. (I've never seen one that doesn't but perhaps there are some that do not.)

Note that there is a distinction between a café and a restaurant. Most cafés serve at least some food. Some have quite extensive menus. But they will also serve a drink without food. Restaurants serve full meals and will not serve just coffee or a drink.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

Thanks for the names of the pastry shops. The one you are referring to in SD is Extraordinary Desserts, and though they are beautiful and wonderful - it's not France! They are one of the best in SD, so I'm thankful we have them. Will try the one in SB next time we're up there.

If you like Gelato, try Amorino's in Paris - it's a chain (one on the island and one in the Marais, so I assume there are more) - best gelato around.

Enjoy Paris, sorry you'll miss the Prado at Christmas - but what a choice!!!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

well, he didn't actually refuse to serve me, he just took so so so long, it was clear... thanks for the gelato.

yes, that was the dessert place i was thinking of.

oh, btw, bungarinis in altadena, north of pasadena, has authentic gelato and it is to die for!

merci beaucoup!

thebigsneeze

19. Re: Honfleur vs Giverny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2010