We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monet in Normandy

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Monet in Normandy

Good morning

I am already doing the research on this, and have some ideas. I thought that starting a thread here would not only add to what I am researching, but might also be helpful to others looking (or just give someone some good ideas for a visit).

So, in this trip coming up, I am spending one night and a good chunk of the days on either side hunting down Monet. I will have a car and leave Paris.

I've already been to Giverny twice but since it is on the way I will probably stop again. Rouen is also a stop, if for no other reason to see the Cathedral.

I will be staying in Etretat overnight, and, the next day will visit Le Havre for a few reasons - it is a UNESCO site, the fantastic museum there, and of course Monet spotting.

Honfleur is also a stop on my little tour.

In the coming days I plan to peruse my Exposition catalog (from my Jan 2011 whirlwind weekend trip to see it) but I was wondering if anyone here had anything to say about visiting Monet in Normandy.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monet in Normandy

Not really Monet directly, but certainly inspired by him, are the fantastic Gertrude Jeckyll / Edward Lutyens garden and house at Varengeville sur Mer, just south of Dieppe. An underrated, and largely unknown treasure. About 1,000th of the number of visitors you will jostle with at Giverny.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monet in Normandy

What a delightful and informative question. You (and we) are already there! We were so lucky in June five years ago. We arrived at our chambres d'hotes at 16.00 and (having planned to go next morning) thought, why not go now! So off we went to the garden and nearly had it to ourselves. The house was empty. No-one in the kitchen! We spent quite a while in that beautiful kitchen imagining Monet, Pissaro, Corot, (fill in your own blanks!) chatting around the table. One of our very best unexpected travel moments. The water lilies were in flower - it was beyond everything we could have hoped for.

For the first time I have answered a question and thought - please can we come with you!!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monet in Normandy

By the way, If you are going to Honfleur and you haven't already been, please go to the Boudin gallery. As I am sure you know, Monet was taught by Boudin and one of my favourite Monet paintings is "The Beach at Trouville". It is in the National Gallery in London but you will get the flavour in Honfleur. If you Google it you will see that by all accounts the painting is of Mme Monet and Mme Boudin on the beach with the chair vacated (I seem to remember) by Monet's son. The lovely thing is that, apparently there are grains of sand in the paint. Absolutely "plein air"!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monet in Normandy

If you have a tablet you can download an app "le havre" which gives places painted on a map and info.

The malraux gallery has some monets, and not far from there on the quayside is a panel indicating the spot where monet painted the first impressionist painting "impression of a sunrise" difficult to recognise the place now.

In front of the st catherines church at honfleur is a panel showing a painting of monet when the church had a classic porch.,

There's a guide book in french by the routards called impressionism in normandy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monet in Normandy

If you are a Monet fan, you must past through Sainte Adresse, and visit Trouville.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monet in Normandy

Thank you! What great ideas. I can't wait to go back, it's been 5 years now since I've been to Normandy.

I will check out the app and will look up Sainte Addresse. Was that his first home there?

Edited: 6:35 am, April 18, 2014
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monet in Normandy

OOOH! And I shall take a photo of that plaque. I'm such a tourist.

8. Re: Monet in Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 11, 2015