We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

Chino, California
1 post
Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

What is the distance from the train station to the Basilica and other St. Therese related sites? Would it be too far to walk or is a taxi more feasible to take? I am traveling with my parents (in their late sixities and in good health). Also, does the train station have storage lockers for luggage while in town....thinking of making Lisieux a day trip before heading to Bayeux/Normandy beaches. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
69 reviews
214 helpful votes
1. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

I have not been to Lisieux myself, but in the absence of other answers so far, will try to help!

Here is a link to the Lisieux Tourism Office website:

http://en.lisieux-tourisme.com/

You can download a map of the city in pdf format here:

lisieux-tourisme.com/v2/pdf/planaccueil.pdf

Looking at the map, it does not look like a long walk from the Gare SNCF to the Basilique.

Making use of the 'on foot' route planner on Viamichelin, it is advising a walk of 0.6 miles:

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Looks an interesting place. Not religious myself, but think I will have to go for a visit some time, I still like the architecture and 'feel' of Churches and Cathedrals.

Enjoy your visit, EW

2. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:30 pm, November 21, 2015

3. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 03, 2012

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
4. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

I went there oh may be 6 years ago with my geriatric parental units. They were around that age too, but mom has some arthritis and walks slowly. What I remember is the hilly incline up to the basilica, and moreover, you can't really walk straight from point a to point b, even though map shows not a great distance. What I may recommend is a taxi from the train station to the basilica since it's uphill and you may have luggage, and giving you a chance to see if you can handle the walk back. The grounds around the basilica is fairly expansive, a nice stroll though. Just so you know that once you leave the big sites, it is hard to find a taxi passing by, and we did not have much help getting people to call a taxi for us.

Not sure if the basilica has visitor assistance for luggage. You can email and ask?

…catholique.fr/_webmaster_.html

OR consider making it a day trip from Bayeux after you check into your hotel?

Philadelphia
3 posts
5. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

i recommend a taxi up the hill, which is quite long and steep. It is easy to get them at the train station. If you cannot get one back down the hill, it's a much, much easier stroll down than up.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

I am wish to visit my Uncle's war grave at St Desir War Cemetry in May 2013. We have booked train tickets from Paris and want to know best way to travel from train station to war cemetry.

Thank you

Robyn

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi

the only way is a taxi.It's too far to walk.

Reply to: Lisieux train station walking to St Therese Basilica or taxi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted