We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

First time back in years. Looking for a way to search out 2-* BB/hotels for touring, 1-2 night stays. There used to be some semi-formal associations of nice places, small networks of like-minded hoteliers.

Also: anyone have a favorite way of renting a car at CDG for 9 days? It used to be complicated, and best done ahead of time.

Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

I think the hotel association you are thinking of is probably Logis de France: www.logis-de-france.fr.

It is not at all complicated to rent a car in France but you will certainly save a lot of money by reserving your car in advance and paying for it in $$ before you leave. autoeurope.com and kemwel.com are both reliable brokers with competitive rates but check the major rental companies themselves also (Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc.) as you might get lucky and find a special offer.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

Thanks. I remember those names from previous trips, just wondered whether there was something new under the sun. I'll check LogisdeFrance, but I think they're for longer stops. The groups I'm remembering are informal associations among a dozen or so collaborators who were too small to be able to afford joining larger networks.

Dan

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

I think you are confusing Logis de France, an association of small family-owned hotels, with Giites de France. Gîtes are properties, often small rural homes, that are usually remted out by the week.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

There are two things going on here. First, I now believe that I was mistaken about Logis de France in thinking that it was for longer-term stays, and I'll check them out. But in addition to that, there are some informal semi-personal networks of really small BB-type places (some with a few rooms) that I'd come across in prior trips. I do know that the Gites de France is a separate network. That's for a later time.

Have you ever heard of the Guide du Rotard? That's been suggested to me on Lonely Planet.

Thanks for your help.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

Correction: it's Guide du Routard...

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

Perhaps this is what you are thinking of:

gites-de-france.com/gites/uk/bed_breakfasts

I am not familia with another association of B&Bs and I know that this site will not list all B&Bs in a given area. If you have a specific place you want to be close to, the relevant forum(s) can probably give you specific advice, and a search using the links at the top left of this page will also likely be helpful.

Yes, I know the Guide du Routard and it is an excellent resource for scoping out small and relatively inexpensive hotels and restaurants in France. It does occasionally appear in an English language version titled 'The Rough Guide to French Hotels and Restaurants.' The French version is updated annually, but I think the Rough Guide version is only published sporadically so it may not be as current.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

Right: Rough Guides. I should've realized...

Any tips on the Brittany coast???

8. Re: Two-star hotels/BB in Giverny, Normandy Beaches, Brittany co

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 18, 2009