We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket online for non Europeans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket online for non Europeans

Ok. Is it just me?? I have tries 3 times to purchase a return train ticket on the FNAC website to Vernon - 3 times it has not allowed my address details, as it keeps asking for uk address. I am Australian, which does not appear in the drop down box. Should I just buy my ticket directly from st. Lazare station???? Please help

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

Do you mean the SNCF website? AFAIK FNAC does not sell train tickets.

Going to Vernon there is no savings with advance tickets you can just purchase them in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

There is no need to pre-book this ticket. The train to Vernon has fixed prices and there are no reservations so just buy it at Gare Saint-Lazare (or any other main line train station) or any SNCF boutique. If you buy it the day of travel be at the train station at least 45 minutes before your train departs as the ticket line can be long sometimes. You can buy the ticket ahead of time (to avoid a potential ticket line) and say you want an open ticket (billet ouverte). These tickets are valid on any train between Vernon and Paris for 60 days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

Thanks for setting me straight. I actually am there now. How simple to get here. 10.20 train from Gare st,Lazare. Bus waiting for train on the other end. Bought a one way ticket as I am staying the night and will walk back to vernon tomorrow. What a gorgeous trip.- And not too busy at the moment. One of the highlights of my trip so far.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

Hope you have a great time. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

So good to read this reply - am trying to navigate the rail pass verses individual tickets debate and so unsure as to prices and what needs to be pre booked and what you need to reserve. This question and response has saved me hours of time in planning trip to Giverny. Thank you!!

Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

I am going to VERNON from Paris in a few days ... Used an iPhone app called captain train . Booked paid for ticket from home and printed at home so should just be able to get straight on train with eticket .. Will see how it goes . Am staying the night

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

For anyone else reading this thread I'll mention that the billet ouverte is no longer valid for 60 days and is now only valid for 7 days.

8. Re: Train ticket online for non Europeans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 01, 2015