We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

Which Giverny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

Planning a trip to France for June with husband and two teenagers. We want to stay in Paris for 5 or 6 nights then tour the Loire Valley, Dday beaches and Mt. Saint Michel. We want to rent a car for driving in Normandy and Loire Valley, but do not want to drive in Paris. We would like to make a stop in Giverny. Would it be a good idea to take a train from Paris to Vernon, rent a car there, then tour Giverny and go on from there? Would Vernon be a good place to rent a car or should we skip Giverny and go on farther into Normandy before renting a car? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

Why don't you pick up the car from La Defense? You can take Metro line 1 there. Driving to Giverny from there is easy. By the way, it would also be easy to pick up a car in the 15th or 7th arrondissements and drive to Giverny. I would not skip it. If you need an automatic, you probably should get the car from La Defense or CDG.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

No, Vernon would not be a good place to rent a car. It's teensy. I'm not even sure there is a car rental outfit there (you can google AutoEurope or Kemwel and find out). You need to get to some bigger place like Rouen or Caen, or go back to Paris, to rent a car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

So far as I know, there is no rental office in Verdon. I think one of the service stations acts as an agent for Hertz, but it does not hold any cars.

Edited: 6:27 pm, January 18, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

Plan your route and depart Paris by car from the location most convenient to where you are staying. Driving out of Paris is no big deal.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

I agree 100% with the first post that was made here. La Défense is on the outskirts of Paris so you won't have crazy French drivers, but still convenient enough to pick up a rental car (not to mention this way you wont have to pay for a train, but instead, just a metro ticket to get there). Definitely go to Giverny. Beautiful countryside and walking paths, not to mention Monet's original house, now turned art and garden museum. Very quaint town!

But no, don't rent in Vernon. Too small of a town!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think we will definitely look at renting and or returning our car in Paris. We are now thinking of leaving Paris, seeing Versailles and then renting a car from there to begin our trip. Does this seem like an ok idea? There seem to be several rental car agencies with offices in Versailles. Thanks!!

7. Re: Train from Paris, then renting a car in vernon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 21, 2015