We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Shelby Twp, MI
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
transportation

I would like Giverny to be our last stop with a rental car before returning to Paris. (we are taking a train from Paris to Bayeux earlier in the week, then renting a car in Caen.) I am having trouble. I thought we would see the gardens first thing, drive to Vernon to return the car, then take a train into Paris. Does that sound reasonable? My trouble is, going online, the first train I see back to Paris is at 4:50 pm. I thought there would be an earlier train as I did not want to spend the entire day in Giverny. The alternative would be to drive our car back to Paris, but frankly, the idea of driving in the city frightens us. Thank you for any advice.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

I just picked a random day in March to check schedules, and I see 6 trains between noon and 5 pm alone. Where are you checking schedules?

And why are you taking the train to Bayeux if you're going to pick up the car in Caen?

Shelby Twp, MI
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong. I was using both TGV Europe and RailEurope. There were no trains shown between 8:11 and 16:53 on either site for 3 May. We are staying in Bayeux. We could pick up a car there, but it sounded as though Caen was a better choice - though Bayeux would be more convenient. Thank you.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation

I use www.voyages-sncf.com. RailEurope usually costs a good bit more and doesn't always show all the trains.

I agree that Bayeux is the better place to stay, but doesn't it make more sense to take the train to Caen where all the auto rental outfits are, then drive the 20 minutes to Bayeux. I couldn't figure out how you were getting to Bayeux. There is one car rental outfit in Bayeux, BTW, but it's not directly at the train station.

Shelby Twp, MI
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation

Thank you! It's too early to see May, but yes, there is an afternoon train. Yes, we could also take the train to Caen and pick up a car then. We just did not think we would need a car in Bayeux. We will consider your suggestion though. Thank you very much for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation

>>There were no trains shown between 8:11 and 16:53 on either site for 3 May<<

You are looking too far ahead. You cannot buy tickets more than 3 months ahead, and schedules further out are often incomplete. Look up any weekday in the next week to get a good idea of what will be available in May.

6. Re: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 22, 2014