We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Least Crowded?

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Least Crowded?

I was wondering what the least crowded day of the week is at Monet's gardens in April? Does it matter if I go early April vs. late April? I planned to be there at opening, if that helps. Are there days to absolutely avoid? For example, are weekends significantly more crowded than weekdays?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Least Crowded?

I'd go earlier in the month -- Spring Break starts 13 April for the Normandy- and Provence-based schools, 20 April for the Brittany-, Languedoc-, Alps, and Alsace-based regions, and 27 April for the Paris and Bordeaux regions.

You're probably pretty safe until the 20th, as the local kids will have seen Giverny until they're ready to scream....with only 1/3 of the schools out that first week, any impact on crowds will be fairly minimal.

Edited: 2:58 am, November 05, 2012
Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Least Crowded?

Sunshine, that is really helpful to know all of that. It gives me the opportunity to base when I will do things in both Normandy and Paris. Giverny before the 20th it is!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Least Crowded?

Plus -- the vast majority of folks head for the mountains to get one last chance to ski.

Not all, but it's amazing that the whole of France doesn't tilt just a little....

Edited: 3:40 am, November 05, 2012
St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Least Crowded?

Also try to avoid days when cruise ships are in Rouen. There's a link here but at the moment it only shows ships for 2012.

www.portofrouen.com

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Least Crowded?

That is also very helpful, Thiaumerie! I really appreciate it! I will be looking at it in January to be sure to get the best date planned. I want to spend the whole day in Vernon/Giverny but I also don't want to go on the most crowded days.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Least Crowded?

If you're going to be spending time in Vernon as well you can look at their tourist office website and get info about what to see and do in town and info about the walking tourist trail through town. It's an interesting town in its own right and often gets by-passed because people just pass through it on their way to Giverny.

www.vernon-visite.org/rgb4/who_we_are.htm

If you want to visit the tourist office in person and get printed material it is right next to the church.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
68 posts
615 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Least Crowded?

Be sure to pre-purchase your tickets online, so there is no waiting in line. I have been twice, both times in July and it was never very crowded, but the paths are small and can be clogged up with very few people, so be patient and wait for your shot as people move through fairly quickly. Do at least two if not three laps around the pond as the light changes and things can change very quickly. Enjoy your trip.

8. Re: Least Crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 20, 2014