We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seine River cruise

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
874 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Seine River cruise

Still searching for information on taking a river cruise from Paris to Honfleur. I've checked the Cruise Critic there but only find information on the Viking River cruise. We're considering Vantage Tour company and wondered if anyone here has used them on this river? We're looking at going next October 2013, so are starting early to research. We have no itinerary planned yet and are up for suggestions as to how best to see this area. We'd like to spend a week or so on the river and then do a land tour either by coach or car. We're interested in WWII history if that makes a difference on where I should look. Thanks in advance.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seine River cruise

When I was staying in Honfleur once, I was impressed by the lovely River Cruisers that were run by CroisiEurope, they looked really smart and good. The cruise Co. allowed me and my then SO on-board to have a little look at the Salon, and upper 'public' decks, which I thought was very nice of them. They did not allow us into any of the Cabins, but as they were occupied at the time, IMO this showed a good responsibility to security.

CroisiEurope has a more 'cosmopolitan' vibe, with 'punters' from many countries - europe and afar. This can, apparently, get a bit cliquey, but also can be a real 'united nations'!!

Here is their website, maybe it will help:

croisieurope.travel/en/seine-cruises-rub20.h…

One TA member that I have come across on the Senior Travel forum is not so keen on them, I will hunt him down and get him to respond to this thread for you, IF I can!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seine River cruise

We saw those boats yesterday in Honfleur and they did look nice but we haven't cruised.

I would recommend a car and moving among some of the small towns etc. It is beautiful countryside. We just spent two nights in Honfleur, two in Bayeaux and one in the area of St. Michel. We loved the whole thing. We spent one day on an all day tour of the Normandy beaches and it was very worthwhile and for us who are not history experts, a great way to see WWII sites. The Bayeaux Tapestry is something not to be missed; it was wonderful.

We enjoyed the St. Michel Abbey although the place is also a slice of tourist hell with a narrow tourist trapped alley to the top -- the alternate route up the ramparts was blocked at the base when we were there. The Abbey was interesting and the site of the Mont at a distance is stunning -- both night and day. We spent one afternoon at Eretrat and this was also just wonderful.

We hiked the cliffs and the views are spectacular. And oddly crossing and viewing the Pont Normandie was an unexpected thrill. The French built them some fabulous bridges.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seine River cruise

Viking stop at Rouen, as other cruises. Croisieurope Grand Circle and Vantage go up to Honfleur.

The reason for stopping at Rouen is that the Seine is a seaway below Rouen. You need a different class of boat and pat a pilot to do what the captain can do.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
874 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seine River cruise

Best advice I've had so far. Thanks. Now to choose the cruise ship?????

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,403 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seine River cruise

The reason that Essex was second guessing the choice of Croiseurope is especially because the small passenger compliment is divided by language and culture which does not provide the kind of warm atmosphere that you should experience on the all English speaking river ships.

Do you know that all your meals, accommodations, transportation (within France, not trans Atlantic) shore excursions/sightseeing, wine/beer/soft drinks are included with many of these companies? It is a virtually all-inclusive Euro holiday.

I've experienced this itinerary on the beautiful River Baroness for a week. On this ship you will find that the food and wine are magnificent and are themed to the area. The lovely hospitality staff are English speaking Europeans and you will travel with other English speaking guests like the Brits and Aussies, Canadians and so forth along with folks from NE possibly. This ship is highly rated by Zagat for fine dining but you can even just order a grilled steak and french fries. To learn more find an expert/travel agent in your area. Just look at uniworld.com and on the front page you will see Find An Agent. These are folks who have completed a course about river cruising and may also have personal experience and they will be local to you. With river cruises there should not be any additional cost to gain their services since their compensation is already included in the cruise rate. If you are a member of something (like AAA) you are eligible for an additional and unadvertised discount. You can also watch a 6-minute clip of a river cruise (New Way to See Old World) on the website to get a better idea of what you can expect ... though not on all companies which vary just as hotel companies do.

Please understand that none of these itineraries include Mont St Michele.

6. Re: Seine River cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 19, 2013