We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Which Giverny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
transportation to La Chaine d'Or

We will be arriving at CDG and plan to take the train to Rouen. I would like to stay two nights at La Chaine d'Or but not sure about transportation to the hotel. We hadn't planned to rent a car our first day in France. Any suggestions?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

I don't think there's a train stop near Petit Andelys, but perhaps there is bus service to the adjoining town of Grand Andelys.

When do you hope to stay? Someone else just posted to say that the hotel was full up for their dates.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Mid-September. They only had one room left. Now I'm thinking that we probably can manage renting a car in Rouen on the first day and driving there. Seems like the easiest answer.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Where are you going after Petit Andelys? I ask because it's between Paris and Rouen and wonder whether you would be back-tracking.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Bayeux

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

I think there is only one train a day from CDG to Rouen, so you will probably have to get into Paris and take a train from there to Rouen or rent your car at CDG and drive to Chaine d'Or, not a bad drive, less than two hours as I remember it.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Okay. Your best bet would be to pick up a car at CDG and drive to Petit Andelys, which takes about 2 hours on good roads. Otherwise you'll go all the way to Rouen and then have to drive back.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Agree - no point taking a train to Rouen to hire a car and head back where you came from!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

That makes sense. It's just that we're a little unsure of being able to maneuver out of Paris after an overnight flight. How easy/difficult is it to get out of airport rental area and onto main road?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

Not difficult; ask the rental agent for directions and a map.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation to La Chaine d'Or

>>>It's just that we're a little unsure of being able to maneuver out of Paris after an overnight flight.<<<

IMO you are quite right to feel hesitant about driving after an overnight flight. Jet-lag, sleep deprivation and the general disorientation of an overnight flight coupled with strange roads, driving conventions that are unfamiliar and road signage that you will probably confusing are not a good combination.

I think you should follow your instincts and spend your first night in Paris or somewhere you can fairly easily reach by train.