We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deauville or Caen?

London, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Deauville or Caen?

Hello

If we had only one day to explore Deauville and/or Caen, which city would you stay in and why? We're not big on commercial-looking beach towns, but we do like sunshine, picturesque places, and appreciate architecture, good food, and great views. We're doing a roadtrip around the loire valley but want to explore parts of northern France. What do you suggest?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deauville or Caen?

Why not Honfleur?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deauville or Caen?

Well, although Caen has some nice 'bits' it was well blitzed in 2 world wars,so there is not much of the 'picturesque' left. It is still an interesting City though.

Deauville with it's 'Norman' style flash Hotels, lovely beaches and boardwalk is more 'attractive' if you like.

But Catullus has the right answer - Honfleur is just about the most picturesque town on the Normandy coast.

Bayeux is better preserved than Caen also so you might prefer that for a larger city visit.

Rouen also with it's amazing gothic cathederal, might well make a better visit for you.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deauville or Caen?

what is your time frame for the day?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deauville or Caen?

Either (or any other town in the same general area) would be a very long detour if your primary intent is to visit the Loire valley.

London, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deauville or Caen?

thanks everyone! we are going with deauville. can you tell me if there are any local handicrafts or particular souvenirs we should consider getting in deauville, mont st michelle, bayeaux, st malo, loire valley areas?

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deauville or Caen?

I don't think Caen was "blitzed" in WW1 but we certainly made up for it in WW2!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deauville or Caen?

From where will you be coming and how much of the day will you have for your stop?

If you have the better part of the day, I think you could make stops in both Deauville and Honfleur...and don't forget Trouville, a "sister" seaside resort next to Deauville. On a trip several years ago, my plan was to drive from Caen to Trouville, have lunch in one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor (view of Deauville), and then onto Honfleur. We got a late start, so we had to drop the lunch in Trouville. I really regret that we didn't get to that stop, but when we had a choice, we chose Honfleur as our destination over any of the others mentioned here.

Like the other contributors here, I don't think Caen is going to satisfy your list of interests. The wooden cathedral in Honfleur is definitely a structure of architectural interest, and the Honfleur harbor is charmingly picturesque, especially as the tides change. Just watch out for the rules in the public parking area. They are strictly enforced, and you may have to periodically move your car.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deauville or Caen?

WW2 not 2WW's!! Derr!!

Whispering Pines...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Deauville or Caen?

Is it possible to take a taxi from the Deauville train station to Honfleur &, if so, does anyone have a estimate on the cost & amount of time it would take.

thank you

10. Re: Deauville or Caen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, June 25, 2013