We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

Hi all, I'm hoping for some rather particular expertise!

I am heading to Normandy on Monday to seek out a couple of archaeological sites that should still have some visible earthworks remaining: that of the Motte d'Olivet in Grimbosq Forest and at Bretteville-sur-Laize.

I am trying to figure out how accessible the Grimbosq Forest is and, further, where precisely the Motte d'Olivet is within it. My French is not great, so translating websites on my own is not going so well. It seems like the Forest is somewhat of a recreational area but I've been unable to figure out how to reach both it and the Motte within.

Second, it appears that the motte of Bretteville-sur-Laize is just north of Gouvix off of the D132, but I'm having trouble sorting out where exactly between my hand-drawn excavation maps and Google Earth.

I will have a car (and a friend who speaks native French) if this is helpful to anyone giving advice. Does anyone have any helpful hints? I'm throwing this onto our collective expertise. Thanks in advance!

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
527 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

I think the one in Bretteville sur Laize is in the grounds of the chateau d'outralaise, but I may be wrong. I know there is a standing stone in there somewhere that you can go and see.

bonne chance

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

for grimbosc you can tap in the coordinates into a GPS or look on Google earth to see where it lies.

49.056223 -0.441261

For a gPS you need a hand held one, you must walk a good way to it.

Edited: 5:53 pm, July 20, 2012
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

Thank you both very much - very helpful!

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

I just wanted to follow up to say that whilst we didn't have time to get to Bretteville, the coordinates for the Motte d'Olivet within the Foret de Grimbosq as listed for cpmac were spot on! I had seen a different set elsewhere and wanted to confirm that yours were correct. Should anyone else be reading this in the future and trying to figure out how to get to the Foret or the Motte, it's an easy drive from Caen. There is a small car park in the middle of the Foret off of the D257 and the paths are well sign-posted to reach the Motte.

Thank you both again!

5. Re: Grimbosq and Bretteville-sur-Laize mottes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 17, 2013