We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can we do the tour more effectively on limited budget?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
74 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
How can we do the tour more effectively on limited budget?

Hi

We are arriving in Bayeux for the d day tour on Sunday the 1st of April early evening hoping to do the tour on Monday but I need a bit of your help.

I home educate my eldest who is 12 so its more a history field trip for her though I will have my younger son who is 4 too. How best can we visit these site and get the best educational value too? I have looked at tours and most cost about 200 euros for half a day and this is beyond what I can afford as the Caen Museum is quite pricey too. Is there a budget friendly way of doing this tour?

I am sure a guide even for an hour just to tell us a bit more about what happened and the areas which can then find ourselves will be more fruitful than trying to navigate it ourselves. We have a video about the landing that we can watch too before we depart but I just need your ideas on how best to tour these sites.

We will have our own car.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can we do the tour more effectively on limited budget?

If you have your own car, perhaps you can visit the sites that you want to see on your own--with a good guide book. The family pass of 48 euros for the Caen Memorial is expensive, but it is a "must." The memorial is not a war museum; it provides a sociological perspective that you won't get in most museums.

I hope that someone else can be more helpful about a less expensive tour.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can we do the tour more effectively on limited budget?

There's the audio guide option. Do a google search for d-day audio guide. Films to see before you come: "The Longest day" - they actualy filmed at Ste Mere eglise, Pegasus bridge, and Pointe du Hoc, "Save private Ryan" to get an idea of the carnage on Omaha beach. Although based on a real family, the story line has no basis in reality, "Band of brothers" shows the training of the 101st and the actions of E Co.

The Memorial is about practiacally everything except D-day. The d-day section had been relagated to one small room. It covers the interwar period, declaration of war, the phony war, the occupation, war in the east, war in the pacific, attrocities, death camps. Lots of panels to read.

Mentioned in this post
Pegasus Bridge
Pegasus Bridge
694 Reviews
Ranville, France
Pointe du Hoc
Pointe du Hoc
1,686 Reviews
Cricqueville-en-Bessin, France
Omaha Beach
Omaha Beach
1,664 Reviews
Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, France
3. Re: How can we do the tour more effectively on limited budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, March 26, 2013