We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D Day Beaches

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
D Day Beaches

I will be in Normandy June 22 to June 24, staying 2 nights. I would like to see as many of the sights as possible without rushing through them. I may want to spend extra time at some sites (American Cemetary) and less at others. It would be ideal if there was a bus that operated between the sites dropping people off and picking others up and going to the next site. You could then spend as much time as you wanted at each place.

Can you make a suggestion on this? Also, what would be the best place to stay in order to see things in this manner? Maybe 80 to 100 E per night. I will not have any personal transportation.

Thank you so much.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D Day Beaches

There is such a bus , N° 70

www.busverts.fr/carte/index.php?verif=1

but the service is very infrequent and only passes by Omaha and point du Hoc.

You'd be better served by taking a tour. Even if you can't stay in each place as long as you might like , you'd learn a lot more.

for hotels at Bayeux look at

bessin-normandie.com/tourisme/…hotels

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,512 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D Day Beaches

Try to visit the Memorial Museum in Caen. We found it extremely interesting and some of the films and exhibits are very moving, especially the ones about the D-day landings and the Battle of Britain. We spent over 4 hours there and the time just flew by.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D Day Beaches

Here is a link to how we made our trip several years ago and updates I've learned since then. Our trip started with an early morning arrival in Paris, but if that's not going to apply to your trip, ignore that part.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5174…

This will give you a starting point, and from there, you can put together the trip that works for you.

Cpmac will know best, but I think it's possible to travel by bus to the American cemetery for that "lingering" time that most of us agree will be meaningful. I've saved this post where another member asked a similar question, but maybe Colin will want to contribute more:

tripadvisor.com/…34028922

This with a guided tour might give you what you're looking for.

Edited: 10:31 pm, March 16, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: D Day Beaches

If you want to see as many sites as possible, and have no personal transport, they you realistically only have 2 options:

As cpmac recommends, organised tours will ensure you see most of the relevant sites.

The only other real alternative is to arrange a taxi for the day (am sure this has been covered in other posts on this forum as I remember psoting some links) - but you need to know where you want to go, and be happy to pay more for the privelege. ALso you will not have a knowledeable guide, rather a taxi driver.

As to a base you best bet is Bayeux - and again hotels have been well covered on this forum by people far more knowledge than me

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
5. Re: D Day Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, June 20, 2013