We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
497 reviews
Save Topic
Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

We are planning on taking a train from Paris and doing two days in the area around the Normandy Beaches and Mt St Michel. We are staying at the Chateau de Bouceel, which I understand is closer to Mt St Michel. We need to get back to CDG for a departure, but I noticed there's few departures directly to CDG, so I'm guessing we should just do a round trip back to Paris and transfer to another train to the airport?

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

I was surprised to learn that there is A train direct to CDG.

The alternative is a s you say a train to Paris then cross paris and then out to CDG.

Will you have a car inNormandy. You'll be a bit stuck at Bouceel without one.

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

Yes, I am hoping to rent a car at the Caen train station, but just noticed that some of the car rental agencies are closed on Saturdays. Does anyone know which agencies are open on Saturdays?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

There are a few direct TGVs from Rennes to CDG, taking about 3.5 hours. You can search timetables at voyages-sncf.com where you can also make bookings. If you were looking at RailEurope for train tickets be aware that you will pay much more than you need to compared to booking direct.

why not rent your car in Paris and drive to Normandy?

You'll likely have to spend a night in Paris before your flight in any case. It will take you about an hour to drive to Rennes, 3.5 hours to get to CDG and you need to be there 3 hours ahead of your flight home. That means leaving Bouceel about 8 hours before your flight — assuming that the train times work for you. And if anything goes wrong...

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

Hadn't considered renting a car in Paris and driving to Normandy, but we could do that, I suppose. We'll be in Paris for four days prior to going to Normandy. Where should we rent the car in Paris? At an airport location or in the city?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

There is no good reason to rent from either airport where apart from anything else you will be charged an additional fee for the dubious privilege. I'd suggest the Porte Maillot location on the north-western edge of Paris. If you pick your car up there you'll only be minutes away from the Autoroute to Caen.

There are a lot of things worth seeing in the Seine valley between Paris and Caen.

you might want to look at autoeurope,com or one of the other brokers as they generally will give you a better rate than booking direct. Also you will save quite a bit by renting a diesel. They get better mileage and diesel is cheaper in France. A manual transmission is also a good idea. Automatic are expensive and not plentiful.

And get off the Autoroutes as much as possible. Concrete looks much the same in Normandy as it does in Michigan.

6. Re: Caen Train Schedules - can you get to CDG??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 30, 2010