We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Topic
caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Is it possible to take buses from Caen to the beaches and MSM on separate day? We want to see each from a base of Caen but don't want to have to rent a car.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Why don't you want to rent a car..? We did in 2004, and will again this November.... the driving is easy! If you can drive in Atlanta, you can drive in Normandy.... The car gives you the freedom to explore at your own pace, arriving and leaving when you want, and the complete freedom to go anywhere you want...

From Villers-Bocage, we drove to Bayeux, Coleville-sur-Mer, Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc, St. Lo, and St Mere Eglise, all in one day... we did leave early though!

While I'm sure a bus can get you to MSM, I don't believe the local bus network is extensive enough to get you to what you want to see...

Have a good trip...!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

we didn't want the expense of a car and the gasoline, thought public transit would be easier and less expensive. Where did you stay when you did this route?

PA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

There is bus service to the D-Day beaches, but you will waste a lot of time, and you have to map your schedule very carefully. Nothing beats renting a car. If you don't want to drive from Paris, take a train to Caen, and rent a car there. Stay around Bayeux - driving in and out of Caen would waste time, and you will be closer to the beaches. If you really want to enjoy MSM, spend a night there. Expensive, but worth it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

We stayed a bit south of Bayeux, about 10 or 15 minutes or so at the Ferme du Pressoir

http://www.bandbnormandie.com/

It was an absolutely fabulous place, and the host, Odile is a true treasure of France...! With a car it is perfect for exploring.... Check out the map at the bottom of the "Contacts" page of their website to get a better idea.

It was such a relaxing and perfect base of operations, we are returning for a week in November...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Ooops, forgot to mention:

I can understand your reasons for not wanting a car. However, the beauty of the Normandy region (and all of France, for that matter) can only truly be seen and experienced with a car.

For instance, to make good time, we drove to MSM on the "big highway" Autoroute A-84 there... but we decided to take the smaller roads going home... so we checked the map and took the "route departmentale" "D" roads on the return trip, which led to some quaint discoveries... and some calvados, cookie, and cheese tasting possibilities...

If you're on a bus and pass an interesting looking town in the distance, or see a spire or see a festival in the distance, you're left with "I wonder what that is?" thought as you drive the pre-determined bus route with your nose pressed agianst the window.

I'm not sure where you've vacationed around Georgia or the Southeast, but I'm sure you probably drove. Now think back and imagine if you had done that using only public transportation... Or I'm sure you drive around Atlanta in a car. You probably have an extensive bus network, but you drive anyways for the convenience and freedom a car gives you, despite the cost of gas, traffic, and maintenance... (ok, enough pre-suppositions for now...!)

Your budget is one of the biggest considerations for your trip. This I know, going in November with my wife and kids who are 7, 6, and 13 months old. However, a car is a definite must. You should be able to get a decent rate. Rentals cost what they cost. Gas costs what it cost. But it would be a bit like renting a hotel in Paris and not leaving the property because the city is expensive.

Simply put... rent a car. Enjoy your driving and the discoveries you make... Any other questions, please let me know....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Thanks so much for this reply.

I think you have twisted our arms and we are going to go the rental car route.

It isn't that we are worried about driving there, my husband drives internationally very frequently, we just thought it would be easier to get a bus there and back, etc.

Where do you find your rental cars? We have looked around and see that it is cheaper to rent from Paris and return it to Paris but we may not be looking in the right places.

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

Sorry about the arm twisting.... I just hope on your return, you post what a great experience it was....

I took the train from Paris to Bayeux and rented there. I know there are many who have rented in Caen and recommend that. I'm sure a forum search of "Caen rental car" will be insightful. From your OP, I take it you will be based out of Caen? I would rent from there....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

We have decided to rent in Paris and drive from there, the cars are much cheaper.

I think we will be staying in Bayeux, not sure yet.

Thanks again for all your help!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

You can get a tour around the beaches via Battlebus, but they can only pick up in Bayeux I think

I only know of one tour guide who picks up from local hotels

www.normandy-battlefields.org

they do both DDay and other "historical" tours

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: caen to MSM and Dday beaches

This November we will be arriving on the Eurostar, so we are renting our car from Hertz in Paris at the Gare du Nord.... Have a great trip, and be sure to post when you return...!