We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

Want to do day trip from Paris in October. Had booked a tour through the Caen Memorial at 11 AM on a Sunday and returning to Paris, departing at approx. 7 PM. However, for some reason, the train is not running that Sunday morning (probably work on the tracks). Emailed the tour group, which suggested a weekday date but didn't tell me that the time was earlier (and returning later) than on a Sunday. I booked 2 non-refundable tickets on the Intercites to arrive in Caen at 10:52 AM on a weekday and departing for Paris at 6:57 PM. Then the tour guide emailed me to tell me that we needed to be at the Caen train station by 8:57AM on a weekday and they won't return us to the train station until 7:15-7:30. We could take a taxi to the Memorial museum and catch up with the tour there. They leave for the beaches at 1 PM. However, that doesn't solve the discrepancy in train departure time for return to Paris. Any ideas for dealing with this mess I've made would be most welcome.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

Sorry, thought this was the Normandy forum. Can you tell this is our first trip to Paris? Feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

That's annoying because it's not really your fault but if they're non-refundable tickets then there's not a lot you can do about it apart from swallow the loss and buy new tickets.

Edited: 1:54 am, July 10, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

There's a good chance that if you show up for the earlier train, they will let you on it with your later tickets. I believe you can exchange them at that time at the ticket desk for no charge. So don't worry about the morning train. How expensive would it be to just buy new tickets? I just bought tickets from Rouen to Paris and they were only E10 each.

Edited: 8:59 pm, July 10, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

(they'll exchange the tickets, providing there's seats - that's my understanding at least. It's kind of like flying standby.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

The T&C for the cheap PREMs tickets clearly state that they are strictly "no change, no refund". If you buy more expensive tickets, you can have flexibility to make changes.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

<<There's a good chance that if you show up for the earlier train, they will let you on it with your later tickets. I believe you can exchange them at that time at the ticket desk for no charge. So don't worry about the morning train.>>

Anyone can board any train. A ticket is not required to board.

You cannot exchange "no change, no refund" tickets.

<<(they'll exchange the tickets, providing there's seats - that's my understanding at least. It's kind of like flying standby.>>

No, it is not like that, at all.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

Hmm, that's what my hotel told me in Brussels. Perhaps the Thalys is different. we didn't end up trying it out anyway, because we didn't make it in time for our earlier train that day.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

Perhaps the tickets on Thalys were semi-flexible or flexible because the economique tickets on Thalys are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

The hotel clerk seemed to think they allow this if you show up for an earlier train, even if your ticket is non-refundable/non-exchangable. I know I have done this on airplanes before, on non-refundable/non-changeable tickets. Their attitude is that if they have empty seats, they'd rather have you go on the earlier flights to make room for people who get bumped.

10. Re: Need suggestions about what to do after booking wrong train.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, July 14, 2015