We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

Which Bayeux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

We are going from Paris to Bayeux... I can't book our trip for March for a couple weeks still. I am going to try to book a train that goes direct to Bayeux, but if we have to change trains in Caen I would like some advice please.

Can someone tell us what to "look" for and how exactly we will need to get from one train to the other in Caen?

I looked but I can't find a link that has a map of the Caen train station to help make it easier, does anyone happen to have a link so I have a map to help make finding our connection easier?

Any other specific tips or advice would be helpful, thanks!

PS: Anything different to look for going back to Paris through Caen, or do we just reverse the helpful suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

Train stations have departure screens, similar to those at airports. These show the departure time, the train number (on your ticket for all fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going to), and the platform (quai) that will be used.

If in doubt, ask any staff member. In my experience, SNCF staff are very helpful.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

The Caen train station is fairly simple. If you need to change tracks, I remember seeing an escalator that makes this change easier. It's basically arrive on one platform, and if the board Nick describes shows another departure platform,, go down and through the tunnel to the that location.

You can do this!

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

For the train to Bayeux... if the final destination listed on the board is different than Bayeux, what city is it likely to say instead? I know usually this is the last stop on the line or such, just not sure if it will always be the same city headed that way and if so what city I would look for on the board instead of Bayeux?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

This page may help you. www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frcfr/accueil/

Check the departures board for the time your train departs for Bayeux. If a train for a different destination shows at that time, that's what train you look for at the station. The arrival board will shown which platform your train from Paris is likely to arrive, and the departure board a likely departure platform (this can't be guaranteed on the day, but usually the plan is for the platforms not to change day to day). There is a map of the station on the page too.

You can also check the train number, which will be shown both on your ticket and on the departure board at the station.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

Thanks, Awesome!

6. Re: Train to Bayeux from Caen - Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 10, 2014