We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the train station into the town centre

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from the train station into the town centre

Hello

Myself and three others will be staying in Bayeux for two weeks Aug-Sept 2014, attending the World Equestrian Games that are based in Caen. We plan to catch the train into Caen each day but I notice the train station in Bayeux is not in the heart of town. Our accommodation is in Rue Laitiere, which looks to be a km or so away.

If we don't to walk to the station each day, is there any local buses that go from the town centre to the train station on a regular basis? What about taxis at the station for when we arrive with our bags?

I've had a look at some bus websites but can't quite work out whether buses go around Bayeux town.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Linley

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

I/m not aware of a bus you could take, but maybe someone else will know more. Bayeux is a tiny town, so I'm doubtful.

However, I did a Google "Walking Directions" search from "Rue Laitiere" to the train station, and it looks like it's only about a thirteen minute walk, though I didn't have a specific street address. TBH, you could probably spend that much time waiting for a bus, so you're probably okay. Bayeux is awfully cute, and the walk could be quite pleasant.

In a pinch, there are taxis outside the train station, and for our trip, I didn't sufficiently research how to get to the Hotel Churchill from the train station. We actually took a taxi for that very, VERY short distance, so from out experience, taxi drivers in Bayeux seem to be pretty willing to accommodate even the shortest ride.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Hotel Churchill
Hotel Churchill
1,227 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

It's an easy walk, if not take a .taxi. You will have to pay the minimum allowed fare.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

Bayeux bus routes and timetables

mairie-bayeux.fr/fileadmin/datas/images/keol…

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

Perfect! There really should be a "helpful links" topic for the games' attendees. I don't know enough to get one started, but maybe someone else could.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

Thank you all for the information (the bus map is great!).

I figured the km or so was walkable but didn't know whether it was a pleasant walk or on busier roads. Looks like we'll be doing a bit of walking each day as the games venues in Caen aren't on top of the train line either.

I'm collecting a fair bit of useful info on local transportation through these forums. Nothing like asking the locals or frequent travellers!

Edited: 5:53 pm, November 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

If you are there for the WEG why not stay in Caen. You're going to have to walk to the station then get an infrequent train to Caen. You are then in the same situation as you would be if you stayed in Caen. At the end of the day you do that in reverse.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

Accommodation in Caen itself is pretty much gone, with the organisers doing block bookings at any hotels for the officials, let alone spectators. The train timetable for Bayeux - Caen doesn't look too infrequent? Hope not.

Edited: 5:54 am, November 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

If you can't find anywhere in Caen, Bayeux is a great place to stay. I supopose renting a çar is not a good idea as you'll be in the morning rush and won't be able to park.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

We walked from the train/bus station to our hotel in the Saint Patrice Plaza area several times---about 20 minutes away---and found the walk to be pleasant (and safe at night) but if you'd rather take a taxi, they are found right outside the station.

10. Re: Getting from the train station into the town centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 20, 2014