We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

We are staying in Bayeux we have a D day tour reserved and are trying to decide if with our remaining time we should see MSM or Caen? We do not have a car.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

Bonjour, lswengr,

I cannot tell you much about Caen. We used it as a base for other places. Le Memorial de Caen is wonderful.

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/

http://www.caen-tourisme.fr/

I have read that the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux has a shuttle to MSM; howevr, it is probably booked. You could take a train from Bayeux to Pontorson and then catch a bus to MSM from Pontorson and back. A direct train from Bayeux to Pontorson takes almost two hours one way. If you don't mind the four-hour trip, I don't think that you will regret going to MSM.

I am assuming that you already plan to see the Bayeux tapestry and the cathedral, if you haven't already.

Bonne chance,

MrsJAS

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

If you can't get on the churchill shuttel, go to Caen. Getting to mSM by public transport is a pain.

There's plenty to occupy your time at Caen. The Memorial, which is on the northern outskirts. From the station take a tram to the university then N° 2 bus to the Memorial.

http://twisto.cartographie.pro/v1.1/

In the town center is the chateau. There is an abbey on each side of town. A walk from the chateau to the Abbey aux hommes will take you through the undamaged part of Caen. There's a trail you can follow.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

Thank you,we asked about the Churchill shuttle, they had room, and then they did not, although I got back to them immediately. We were too tired today to go to Caen today, we saw the tapestry, and then wandered Bayuex. You prefer Caen over MSM on public transport? I thought MSM would be more picturesque?

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

MSM is a lot more picturesque and is the unofficial eighth wonder of the world but Caen is far easier to get to on the train.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

Oh, decisions?!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

Caen akes about a quarter of an hour by train from Bayuex and, as cpmac has said has many interesting places to see and experience its history.As a total entity it is not picturesque, as with all towns (except Bayeux) in the area there had to be a fair bit of rebuilding after WW2. This does not stop it bein somewhere well worth isiting. Don't forget that the reason Mont St Michel has remained as it is, is because until the latter part of the 20th century, it was way off the beaten track.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

We took the direct train this AM from Bayuex to Pontorson, the bus to MSM was right outside the station and it dropped us off very close to MSM. We had a great day, the sites were incredible, we also had an English tour of the abbey.

8. Re: Bayuex to MSM vs Bayuex to Caen without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2014