We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We loved Bayeux...

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
We loved Bayeux...

Just wanted to drop a note on here and say we loved our trip here! We stayed two nights in early May and wished we would have stayed longer. I should have listened to the advice on here and extended our stay! It was the most charming town I have ever been to. We didnt get to see the tapestry, or go into the Cathedral because of time, but did walk around the Cathedral and it is gorgeous! Every restaurant/ shop/ and bakery we went to was awesome. I can't tell you how many wonderful memories we have from those 2 days, and now cant wait to return! Thanks to all the experts on this site that helped with our planning. We stayed at Relais de la tour Louise-fabulous b&b no complaints, would stay again in a heartbeat. Took the Overlord Tour of D-Day sites, my husband and I agreed this was one the best things we have ever done! Very knowledgable and interesting! The people in Bayeux were also wonderful, from the lady who owned the pizza place we went to, to the antique store staff who filled us in on any items we were looking at. THANK YOU!

Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Normandy44 Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Essex
Level Contributor
28,855 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We loved Bayeux...

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and made some memories to cherish!

Bayeux is, indeed, a very attractive place.

Regards, EW

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We loved Bayeux...

We loved it too. (May 12-15)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
97 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We loved Bayeux...

My husband and I agree with you! We just left Bayeux on Friday (5/25) and didn't want to leave - we had arrived on Sunday so had more time then you.

We also stayed at Tour Louise.........loved it there as well! We were able to do the Tapestry...highly recommend for those heading to Bayeux....there is a wonderful audio tour that goes with it that is very entertaining to say the least.

The Catheral is magnificent (and what a view from our bathroom window at Tour Louise!).

We took Paul Woodage's two day American Experience Tour Monday & Tuesday which was incredible. We had rented a car so had the advantage of then driving to Mont St. Michel and also going back to D-Day sights we wanted to delve into more.

Bayeux was a great location for all we wanted to see.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We loved Bayeux...

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm saving this link to share with travelers who only want to visit Normandy as a day trip to visit the D Day sites. I don't think I've ever read a negative comment from anyone who has allotted more time for at least an over night (preferably more!) in Bayeux, and you have stated the case for putting Bayeux as an itinerary destination - not an "add on" - very well! It's not only the town and its sites that are reasons for doing this, but the people in Bayeux are so welcoming.

Jessrose18, our experience in Bayeux was as you describe, and MLKen, I like that you rented a car and revisited some to the sites. That's an experience that most travelers don't put on their itinerary, but revisiting the American Cemetery and Omaha Beach is especially moving and humbling. Tours are anything but rushed, but IMO, this is one place you want to go back to when you can linger and walk down to the trail to the beach.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We loved Bayeux...

We have been to Bayeux 3 times and love it too:) I find it a hard town to describe, but it just pulls me in.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
97 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We loved Bayeux...

Troggs, all your posts about this area were very helpful to me in my planning and deciding what would work best for us so of course I'm more than happy for you to add this link.

I felt at home in Bayeux......and the area is just so beautiful.

Forest Grove, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We loved Bayeux...

So happy to read these posts! We have a trip planned in September, and are staying 3 nights in Bayeux. We have also booked the Overlord Tour (full day), and plan a day trip to Mont St Michel. The remaining day we will tour on our own - the tapestry/Cathedral, and as some advise, maybe back to the American cemetery or other nearby sites. We will be staying at Logis Les Remparts (chosen from recommendations on this site).

Florida
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We loved Bayeux...

Relais de la tour Louise, we stayed there also in May! We had the twin room with the view from the bathroom of the cathedral. It was beautiful lit up at night. This was such a change from Paris. We loved both. I so enjoyed election night at our fav pub. That was a learning exp. A great base and thank you Troggs for your great advice. La Fringale was so good. Best meal of our trip.

9. Re: We loved Bayeux...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 am, June 21, 2013