We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May in Bayeux

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
May in Bayeux

We'll be there next weekend, Wondering what to expect in way of tourism crowds? Light? Is it season? Off season? Busy? Wondering.

We have tours planned. Just wondering on how busy, and how cool it will be. We are Floridians, so it will probably seem cold.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May in Bayeux

Check the Weather Channel before you travel. Like most anywhere during the spring, anything goes in France during May. Dress in layers and just in case, bring rain gear, especially shoes that will keep your feet dry. You will start out in the morning and even without rain, the ground will be damp.

I don't know about the crowds in May, but if you've booked a guided minibus tour, you will be traveling in a small group. I really wouldn't expect the crowds to be very large while you're there, and the outdoor sites that you will visit are generally expansive. It's the museums that could be a bit more crowded, but I would think, you won't have anything to worry about.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,427 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May in Bayeux

Well it is now 8pm where I live which, being in the UK is further north than Bayeux. It is still reasonably bright daylight here at the moment. France is an hour ahead of the UK, so it is 9pm there now - they must be having some nice long evenings already (even if it does keep raining!).

Edited: 3:06 pm, May 07, 2012
St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May in Bayeux

It's not completely dark until 9.45pm at the moment. We have just had some guests from North Carolina who had to go out and buy themselves sweaters because they were so cold. We have had rain, rain and more rain for the last month and temperatures are considerably below average. All the plants in the garden are now a good 3 weeks behind their normal blooming time. The forecast for the next ten days is similar, slightly warmer but if you come from Florida you will think it pretty cold!!!

There won't be crowds at this time of year. As far as the french are concerned it is still low season.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May in Bayeux

Just been!! Arrived back 8th May. Crowds are ok - fairly thin , but the museum at Arromanches and the Bayeux tapestry are busy - get there early. Also, if dining in Bayeux - book. Weather, just like England. Changeable, sunny spells, rain !! - but that's why the countryside is so lush and green and centred on farming!! It stays light late ish. I think being from Florida , you will find it cold, unless there's a freak heatwave!! Have a great holiday!

5. Re: May in Bayeux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, June 22, 2013