We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Bayeux
Search

Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

If I'm not mistaken the festival celebrating the famous Cochon du Bayeux (Bayeux pig) takes place Oct. 13 '09 this year. How sad! I arrive on the 17th and would have loved to watch the festivities and see all the foods prepared with this great pork.

I understand there is a dinner the following Sunday but not sure if it's only for members of the Cochon du Bayeux Society or open to the public.

Any info out there would be greatly appreciated seeing as Sunday looks to be a quiet day otherwise.

I volunteer to be your bilingual on the spot reporter if I can get in!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

The only reference I can find on that is

www.webpommes.com/index.php…

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

Found someting else

apparentely you can reserve a place.

bessin-normandie.fr/web/…

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

Thanks so much for this cpmac! I'll give them a call in a few hours.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

So, I made a reservation for the big Banquet du Cochon on Sunday Oct. 18. The cost is 63 euros and it starts in town at the church after which we all head to a restaurant about 5 miles out of town for the banquet.

I'm very excited to partake in this!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

So just to wrap up I have returned from a great trip to France and Normandy in particular. My time in Bayeux was booked around the dinner for the Confrerie de Cochon De Bayeux and it did not disappoint.

I discovered why I had trouble getting any information about the Festival de Cochon de Bayeux which is a separate event from the dinner. It was cancelled this year due to the usual budgetary and political issues but is being planned again for next year.

I had expressed my interest by booking in advance for the dinner which was being held at a Relais and Chateau hotel just outside Bayeux but first they started the day with a mass in the beautiful Bayeux Cathedral followed by a photo session outside and then a meeting where they and other confreries gathered and new members were inducted.

To my huge surprise my name was called towards the end and I was inducted as a member of the Confrerie due to the fact I had travelled all the way from Vancouver to attend (as well as being a chef). I received a beautifull medallion and certificate. The group could not have been friendlier and more welcoming.

The dinner afterwards was a multi course meal of the highest quality. All in all quite a day.

Sometimes it pays to show interest and insert yourself into the process as opposed to being a classic tourist. (although some command of the French language is a bonus).

You never know where it will lead you.

Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
32 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October
Save

That sounds absolutely fantastic, I'm glad you had a great time. The Europeans are great at welcoming you in and showing their appreciation of your interest if you have put yourself out. Some friends of our who live here in Normandy belong to the Normandy 4x4 offroad club and went to an even being held by an Italian club a couple of years ago. When it came to the prize-giving at the end of the tournament my friend's name was called out and he had been given a n engraved cup as the participant to have travelled the furthest to take part!

7. Re: Festival Gourmand du Cochon du Bayeux in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Bayeux